Women's basketball wins second in a row

Angelo Gelfuso - The Miami Student
Angelo Gelfuso - The Miami Student

The Miami University women's basketball team grabbed its second consecutive victory on Saturday afternoon, defeating Eastern Michigan University by a score of 79-63. With the win, the RedHawks improve to 9-16 (3-9 MAC) while the Eagles fall to 6-18 (1-11 MAC).

Despite a 6-0 EMU run out of the gate, MU never wavered as sophomore forward Kendall McCoy led the way. Down 19-16, she hit a three that capped a 'Hawks rally, evening the score at 19 all.

The Red and White dominated in the second quarter, quickly jumping out to a 14-0 run sparked by baskets from McCoy and sophomore guard Leah Purvis. After trading baskets, MU gained momentum again, running away with the game on a 13-2 run capped off by a Purvis buzzer beater. When the dust settled, Miami had outscored Eastern Michigan 29-7 for the quarter, giving them a comfortable 48-26 halftime lead.

While the Eagles made small cuts to the 'Hawks lead in the third quarter, the visitors were never threatened as they maintained a 62-44 advantage heading into the final quarter.

EMU never got the game within closer than 15 points in the fourth quarter, as MU held on to win two straight games for the first time since mid-December.

Miami had a torrid .543 field goal percentage for the game, compared to a .426 mark for Eastern Michigan. Furthermore, the Red and White shot 19-for-22 from the free throw line while going 10-of-17 on three point attempts.

McCoy finished the game with a career-high 20 points, falling just short of a double-double with nine rebounds. Purvis and freshman guard Lauren Dickerson also finished in double figures with 12 points each.

For the Eagles, senior guard Phillis Webb finished with 24 points and 6 boards.

The RedHawks now head back home for their next two games, looking to add to their current winning streak. It will not come easy as they first have to square off against MAC West co-leader Northern Illinois University on Wednesday night at 7 p.m. The squad then hosts Bowling Green at 2 p.m. on Saturday for their annual Love Honor Care game.

Players could not be reached in time for interviews before this article was published.