Top Ten Ways to End Sexual Violence

Opinion | Sexual assault prevention discourse important

Katie Hanna, Statewide Director, Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence The posting of a flyer at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio on the "Top Ten Ways to Get Away With Rape" underscores the continued need for addressing the cultural acceptance of rape and the environment created when individuals choose to make sexual assault a laughing matter. Katie Hanna, statewide director of the Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence said, "Viewpoints like this make it difficult for survivors to come forward, especially when one in five women are victims of sexual assault while in assistance." This incident highlights the critical importance of community awareness and continued services for survivors at Miami University and in the surrounding community. Below are some suggested ways that you can end sexual violence, rather than perpetuate it. Top Ten Ways to End Sexual Violence 1. Hold perpetrators accountable. 2. Start by believing. 3. Support survivors. 4. Get the facts. 5. Challenge rape myths. 6. Support policies that address rape, like the Violence Against Women Act. 7. Talk about sexual violence and also about healthy sexuality. 8. Volunteer with your local rape crisis center. 9. Reach out to other male allies and engage men in ending rape. 10. Speak out.

Trending