Sam Lawrence loses to incumbent Sara Carruthers

<p>Although he spent a lot of time campaigning, Miami University sophomore Sam Lawrence lost the election for a seat in the Ohio House of Representatives to incumbent Sara Carruthers.</p>

Although he spent a lot of time campaigning, Miami University sophomore Sam Lawrence lost the election for a seat in the Ohio House of Representatives to incumbent Sara Carruthers.

Miami University sophomore Sam Lawrence lost his bid for Ohio House District 47 during the Nov. 8 midterm elections. His opponent, Republican Sara Carruthers, won 65.2% of the votes.

Over the past couple of months, the campaigns of both Carruthers and her opponent, Lawrence, a political science major, were closely monitored both on campus and within the rest of Butler County. On Oct. 13, the two candidates participated in a debate

Miami students had mixed emotions on the results of the race.

Lana Money, a first-year political science and pre-law major, said she was let down, but she knew the loss was a possibility.

“It’s disappointing because obviously we support fellow Miamians and want them to succeed, but I can understand people who wanted to vote for someone with more experience,” Money said.

Dylan Frank, a first-year undecided business major, expected the loss as well, but was pleased with the turnout nonetheless. 

“We saw a shift in politics,” Frank said, “I was just happy with the effect, even if we lost.” 

Even though Lawrence didn't win, there were benefits to his run. Thomas Feazell, a first-year political science major, thinks Lawrence has a promising future.

“He has a base here now,” Feazell said, “and a large group of people who know who he is.”

Money agreed with the sentiment. 

“Lawrence got his name out there and has these great connections and network,” Money said, “Now he has experience running in a real election.”

It’s unclear what Lawrence plans to do next, but many Miami students believe he has built a platform for future success in runs.

Lawrence and his campaign staff could not be reached for comment.

crabtrr@miamioh.edu