ASG votes to establish student committee surrounding SIV

<p></p>

Miami University’s Associated Student Government (ASG) passed a bill to create a student committee concerning issues of sexual and interpersonal violence (SIV) at its Nov. 1 meeting.

Currently, Miami has a Community Coordinated Response Team (CCRT) that helps with issues of SIV. The office of the Dean of Students runs CCRT, and members include administrators and officers from Oxford Police Department and Miami University Police Department. CCRT is made of multiple subcommittees and is in the process of restructuring them. 

The restructured subcommittees will be focused on response, prevention and survivor support. A new subcommittee made up of students is being established and will be run through ASG.

The bill outlined updating ASG’s bylaws to include a section on this new subcommittee titled the Student SIV Advisory Committee.

The committee will be chaired by Ryan Parker, ASG’s Secretary for Safety and Wellness. 

A member of ASG’s diversity, equity and inclusion committee will sit on the committee. There will also be one representative from each of the following student organizations: Feminists Working on Revolutionary Democracy (F-WORD), Sexual Assault Survivor Support (SASS) and Men Against Rape and Sexual Assault (MARS). Four other seats will be open to undergraduate students who wish to apply.

Any student is eligible to apply, and applications are now open until Nov. 9 at 11:59 p.m.

Administrators on the Student SIV Advisory Committee will include Morgan-Allison Moore, assistant director of SIV prevention and outreach, healthy equity and access, Allison Kumar, deputy Title IX coordinator, and a representative from the Center for Student Diversity and Inclusion.

The bill passed unanimously.

ASG’s next meeting will be held at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 8 in the Joslin Senate Chamber in Armstrong.

hogemh@miamioh.edu