Join Brittany Broski and Sarah Schauer as they violate community guidelines

<p>Brittany Broski, pictured here on the left, uploads episodes of her podcast, &quot;Violating Community Guidelines,&quot; each Monday.</p>

Brittany Broski, pictured here on the left, uploads episodes of her podcast, "Violating Community Guidelines," each Monday.

The internet is a vast place. 

Online, there’s something for everyone. There are countless communities and niches out there, some more commonly known than others.

The internet is also lawless. There’s so much that remains unknown to the general public.

But fear not – influencers Brittany Broski and Sarah Schauer are longtime users of the world wide web, and they’re here to explore the good, the bad and the downright strange.

Broski gained internet fame in 2019 after posting a video where she tried Kombucha on TikTok. Her comical facial expressions made for perfect meme material, and after Twitter users began to use the video for risque jokes, Broski was let go from her day job.

Now, Broski has 7.1 million followers on TikTok. She also posts on Instagram and YouTube.

Schauer, Broski’s cousin, also gained an internet following several years ago during the golden age of Vine. She now has 2 million followers on TikTok and primarily uses Twitter and YouTube.

Broski and Schauer moved in together a few years ago and often collaborate on YouTube videos. They’ve made several mini-series on their channels, such as “Zillow Gone Wild,” where the pair look at crazy Zillow listings, and “PeePee PooPoo Time,” where they attempt crafts, play games, critique followers’ dating profiles and more.

In January, the duo released the first episode of their podcast, “Violating Community Guidelines,” in which they explore the weird (and questionable) side of Facebook Marketplace

The podcast is still ongoing, with new episodes uploaded every Monday to Spotify, YouTube and Apple Music. The duo is currently on tour due to the podcast’s success.

Broski and Schauer dedicate each episode to discussing and explaining the histories of various internet phenomena. From furries to ASMR to thirst traps and a two-part episode on bronies, “Violating Community Guidelines” truly has it all.

I love it.

As someone who grew up in the digital age, it’s entertaining to see all these topics being brought into the mainstream. Like any esteemed internet veteran, I’ve seen my fair share of bronies, creepypasta, Omegele, fanfiction and so on.

But it’s impossible to be familiar with every corner of the internet, and “Violating Community Guidelines” has introduced me to several other things that I had no clue about: blind items, tweetdecking and pickup artists.

I now feel as if I have more experience under my internet belt … and I can’t tell you whether that’s a good or bad thing.

While “Violating Community Guidelines” is supposed to be informational, it’s hosted by two of the funniest online personalities, which makes it a thousand times better. Broski and Schauer’s humor coincides perfectly with the topics at hand. 

The duo has what they describe as the Trixie and Katya dynamic, an allusion to the drag queens. Broski is the chaotic, outgoing half of the pair and Schauer is the sarcastic, misanthropic half.

Beside discussing internet-related topics, Broski and Schauer include humorous anecdotes about their own lives. They tend to venture off-topic, but always manage to circle back. The unrelated tangents the duo goes into are just as funny as the episodes' titular subjects.

Since its start, Broski, Schauer and fans of “Violating Community Guidelines” have established ongoing jokes on the podcast, such as Broski’s cannibal cookbook, Schauer’s mother’s burner account, Broski’s war-veteran fursona and more.

If you want context, you’ll have to tune into the podcast.

The duo doesn’t only discuss comical subjects. They address controversial issues such as the dangers of anonymity and catfishing. In a more recent episode, Broski mentions the racism and classism rooted in Greek life

“Violating Community Guidelines” is unscripted, which makes it feel authentic. Broski and Schauer simply go off research and elaborate as if they were having a normal conversation; this makes the humor and overall discussion flow better.

Regardless of your internet experience, I suggest giving “Violating Community Guidelines” a listen or watch. You’ll learn something new all while being entertained by Broski and Schauer’s witty humor. It makes Mondays so much more bearable – a reward at the end of the worst day of the week.

Rating: 10/10

@_chloebowie_

southacr@miamioh.edu