“I have no regrets:” James Beck is ready to take the next step in his basketball career

<p>Redshirt junior forward James Beck dunks the ball during a loss against Akron on Feb 12.</p>

Redshirt junior forward James Beck dunks the ball during a loss against Akron on Feb 12.

“Interesting.” 

That’s the word former men’s basketball forward James Beck used to describe his athletic career – one riddled with injuries. 

“I haven’t played a game here not injured. Every game I’ve played I’ve been injured.” 

The Grand Rapids, Michigan native transferred to Miami University from Oakland University after two seasons. He sat out his junior year per previous NCAA transfer portal rules but injured his shins early in his first year of eligibility at Miami.  

Despite battling injuries, Beck persisted. He said that the people who supported him were what kept him going.

“I’ve had three surgeries,” Beck said. “Two rods put in both my shins and one for my dislocated middle finger. Adversity is always present but I just keep pushing through it.” 

As for his academics, the family science and social work major had two options after last season ended: stay at Miami or pursue his career. 

Like every other NCAA athlete who played during the 2020-2021 school year, Beck has a bonus year of eligibility left due to the pandemic. He could have chosen to play another year under new head coach Travis Steele but decided to move forward in his athletic career. 

“I’m already graduating so… the main reason for me is, I’m a person that wants to focus on one thing at a time and really give it my all,” Beck said. 

Although still healing from injuries, he has two goals in mind. One is to conduct his own home care business and the second is to pursue a professional career playing basketball. 

Beck plans to start training at the end of May, connect with an agent and hopes to sign a pro-contract from there. 

“It’s been a long college journey,” he said. 

One word to describe how he feels about his future: “prepared.” 

knoxj@miamioh.edu