Miami women’s basketball beats in-state foe Xavier

<p>The women&#x27;s basketball team huddles up before its game against Western Michigan. The game ended with the RedHawks breaking a 13-game losing streak.</p>

The women's basketball team huddles up before its game against Western Michigan. The game ended with the RedHawks breaking a 13-game losing streak.

The Miami University women’s basketball team defeated the Xavier Musketeers 77-73 on the road Wednesday night. The RedHawks improve to 2-1 with the win over the in-state opponent from Cincinnati.

The score was tied at 14 after the first quarter. Miami’s first-year guard Ivy Wolf led all players with eight points in the period, including two 3-pointers.

Xavier briefly gained separation in the second quarter, as a shot from first-year Aanaya Harris put the Musketeers up by six with four and a half minutes to go.

The RedHawks came roaring back, though. The team closed out the first half on a 13-2 run, putting the team up 37-32 at the intermission. Junior guards Jordan Tuff and Peyton Scott each made a shot from behind the arc to tie the game, and Tuff made another three to take the lead.

Sophomores Jada Duckett and Edyn Battle each made a bucket to close the half.

The third quarter was back and forth. Xavier tied the game at 37 early in the period, but Scott answered with another 3-pointer.

Two Harris free throws gave the Musketeers the lead with six minutes left in the quarter, but senior guard Vanessa Garrelts made a three off of an assist by Scott. 

On its next possession, the RedHawks got four offensive rebounds before first-year guard Maddi Cluse made a 3-pointer. The team collected a whopping 18 offensive rebounds in the contest. 

Cluse and Scott each made another three on the team’s next two possessions. Miami shot a blistering 12-of-23 from beyond the arc through three quarters en route to a 57-52 lead.

Xavier started the fourth quarter on a 10-0 run. Former RedHawk Nia Clarke, who transferred from Miami after the 2019 season, gave the Musketeers the lead with two free throws. A few possessions later, a layup from Clarke gave Xavier a 62-57 lead with seven and a half minutes to go.

The RedHawks weren’t rattled, though. Scott, Duckett and Garrelts each made a basket to get the team within two points of the lead.

The Musketeers led 71-66 with a little more than two minutes left, but Scott made a layup to cut the team’s deficit to three points.

Five seconds later, Garrelts got a steal. Scott ended up with the ball and found Tuff behind the 3-point line to tie the game at 71.

It was Tuff’s fourth 3-pointer of the game. The junior guard shot a scorching 4-of-5 from behind the arc in the game.

Scott drew a foul on the team’s next possession, but only made one of two free throws. The Preseason Second-Team All-MAC player redeemed herself, getting a steal on the ensuing defensive possession and making a basket to put the team up by three.

Scott sealed the game from the free-throw line with her 27th and 28th points of the game with seven seconds remaining.

The final score: Miami 77, Xavier 73.

Scott was the leading scorer in the game. She made 10 of her 15 shots from the field, including 4-of-5 from 3-point range. She also led the team with five assists and three steals.

Scott wasn’t the only RedHawk on fire from behind the arc, as Miami shot 50% from three as a team on 26 attempts.

The RedHawks were dominant on the glass, out rebounding the Musketeers 39-24. Duckett led the team with nine rebounds, including five on the offensive end.

Clarke, the Miami transfer, led Xavier in scoring with 17 points

After a win against Xavier, Miami plays in its home opener next Wednesday against the Northern Kentucky Norse. The game tips off at 6 p.m. in Millett Hall.

nelso156@miamioh.edu

@LukasTheDream