“Dancing with the Stars” recap: “Grease” week

<p>&quot;Dance Moms&quot; star JoJo Siwa and her partner Jenna Johnson Chmerkovskiy got their first perfect score for the season for their emotional foxtrot to &quot;Look At Me, I&#x27;m Sandra Dee.&quot;</p>

"Dance Moms" star JoJo Siwa and her partner Jenna Johnson Chmerkovskiy got their first perfect score for the season for their emotional foxtrot to "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee."

“Dancing with the Stars” paid homage to the beloved musical movie “Grease” on Oct. 18.

The dancers performed as well-known characters from the movie, and it resulted in the emotional elimination of Melanie C at the end. 

Olivia Jade and Val Chmerkovskiy (Foxtrot)

• Judges’ scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)

YouTube influencer Olivia Jade danced a cute Foxtrot to “Summer Nights.” 

As always, Olivia had great technique, and I liked how the dance was flowy despite the upbeat song. There was a great girl’s moment that put the spotlight on Olivia, and her connection with Val only helps her confidence. 

For next week, I would like to see her brush up on her stylization. For example, she could be more expressive with her arm movement. The small details are important as well.

Melora Hardin and Artem Chigvintsev (Viennese Waltz)

• Judges’ scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)

Actress Melora Hardin performed a fun Viennese Waltz to “Look At Me, I’m Sandra Dee.” 

Melora’s character portrayals are always fun to watch. As judge Carrie Ann Inaba mentioned, her expression of pure enjoyment makes everyone want to dance with her. 

She should work on making her steps smaller and more precise. This will help with clunkiness and the connection of movement. 

Iman Shumpert and Daniella Karagach (Viennese Waltz)

• Judges’ scores: 7, 7, 7, 7 (28/40)

Basketball player Iman Shumpert danced a romantic Viennese Waltz to “Hopelessly Devoted to You.” 

There was good chemistry, and as head judge Len Goodman mentioned, there was a gentleness to the dance — something we don’t always see from athletes. 

For next week, Iman needs to work on not adjusting his frame for his partner, as his professional partner can adjust to him. 

The Miz and Witney Carson (Jive)

• Judges’ scores: 8, 8, 8, 8 (32/40)

WWE fighter The Miz performed an energetic Jive to “Greased Lightnin’.” 

I really liked his dedication to the character of Danny Zuko, and the hip circle at the beginning of the dance really brought his personality out. 

The Miz rushed ahead of the music from excitement. In order to have clarity in his dances, he needs to direct that energy to his technique rather than his character. 

Amanda Kloots and Alan Bersten (Viennese Waltz)

• Judges’ scores: 10, 10, 9, 10 (39/40)

“The Talk” co-host Amanda Kloots danced an elegant Viennese Waltz to “Beauty School Dropout,” sung live by Frankie Avalon. 

Amanda had a great frame throughout the dance and fluidity in her movement, and all the judges commented on her beautiful leg extensions. 

She should work on her arms, making sure they match the style and mood of the dance. There were times when she had stiff arms in a fluid dance. 

Suni Lee and Sasha Farber (Charleston)

• Judges’ scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)

Olympic gymnast Suni Lee performed an entertaining Charleston to “Born To Hand Jive.”

Suni was a lot more expressive, as she’s just beginning to break out of her shell. The audience could tell she was enjoying every bit of this dance.

For next week, I’d like to see her work on her character. She made Cha-Cha innocent, but the character is originally sassy and fiery.

Jimmie Allen and Emma Slater (Foxtrot)

• Judges’ scores: 8, 8, 9, 9 (34/40)

Country music star Jimmie Allen danced an adorable foxtrot to “Sandy.” 

I really liked the connection of movement in his legs. And as Len mentioned, he has this enthusiasm and dedication to his character each week that stands out.

Jimmie should work on keeping up the energy within the frame — the standard way the bodies connect in ballroom dance. He has a great personality out of hold, so he needs to keep that consistent.

Kenya Moore and Brandon Armstrong (Rumba)

• Judges’ scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)

“The Real Housewives” personality Kenya Moore performed a sensual Rumba to “There Are Worse Things I Could Do.” 

Kenya had a nice poise and embodied Rizzo. With chemistry and control, this was definitely a strong comeback performance.

I would like to see her work on perfecting dips and tricks in the choreography. Overall, simplicity is better for her.

JoJo Siwa and Jenna Johnson Chmerkovskiy (Foxtrot)

• Judges’ scores: 10, 10, 10, 10 (40/40)

“Dance Moms” star JoJo Siwa danced an emotional Foxtrot to “Look At Me, I’m Sandra Dee (Reprise)” that earned her the first perfect score of the competition. 

The acting was breathtaking, and the audience could tell she was feeling the music, story and character. There was a great balance between the lead and follow, and as Bruno mentioned, the dance embodied the greatness of strong friendships. 

JoJo is better at elegant dances. She has a lot of energy, so it’s nice to see her tone it down a bit.

Melanie C and Gleb Savchenko (Quickstep)

• Judges’ scores: 9, 9, 9, 9 (36/40)

Spice Girl Melanie C performed a joyful Quickstep to “You’re The One That I Want.” 

Mel C really showed how vulnerability can turn into newfound confidence on the show. The choreography was a lot of fun as Gleb incorporated some of the choreography from the movie in the routine.

I enjoyed seeing her outside of being a Spice Girl, and I’m really happy she found a new way to express herself. 

Cody Rigsby and Cheryl Burke (Quickstep)

• Judges’ scores: 8, 8, 8, 8 (32/40)

Famous fitness guru Cody Rigsby danced a fun Quickstep to “We Go Together.” 

He had great energy, and there were some moments when he was out of hold where he really shined. 

Cody seemed focused when he was connected to his partner, so he should work on letting his personality shine while in frame. 

@LLFreiberg

freibell@miamioh.edu