Volleyball looks to capture a win at the Duke Invitational

Senior right side Sophie Riemersma goes up for a spike in last year's contest vs. Ohio University.

The Miami women’s volleyball team had a tough start to its season at the Marshall Invitational, going 0-3 for the weekend. 

The RedHawks looked strong against their first opponent of the weekend, Austin Peay State University, winning the first set, but the Governors came out to win the fifth set 15-10.

In a tough matchup against Alabama, Miami lost the match, 3-0. 

The team had another close match against Marshall on Saturday evening, but came up short in the last set to grant the Thundering Herd a 15-11 victory. 

This weekend, the team will travel to Durham, North Carolina for the Duke Invitational hoping to capture its first win of the season. 

On Friday, the RedHawks will take on the College of Charleston, who currently has a 3-1 record. This will be the first matchup between the two teams. 

Later that evening, Miami will face 2-0 Duke University. The last matchup between the two teams was in 1990 and resulted in a 3-1 victory for the RedHawks. 

On Saturday, the ’Hawks are set to play Howard University, who has a 2-1 record. The teams have never played each other. 

Players to Watch

The ’Hawks are led by three seniors - outside hitter Gaby Harper, right side Sophie Riemersma, and setter Jennifer Schulze. The underclassmen also play a significant role in the team’s chance at a victory. Sophomore middle hitter Abby Stratford and freshman setter Gracie Norris are great assets for the RedHawks. 

The College of Charleston relies on redshirt junior Claire Campbell who already has 38 kills for the season and junior outside hitter Gabi Bailey with 8 service aces. 

Duke University has three seniors - outside hitter Ade Owokoniran, setter Alex Springate, and libero Mackenzie Cole - that are key to the team’s success. Middle hitter Lizzie Fleming and outside hitter Gracie Johnson, both juniors, also make great contributions to the team. Duke also adds graduate student Payton Schwantz to their team as an outside hitter. 

Howard University is primarily led by underclassmen. Sophomore outside hitter Jennifer Bolden leads the team with 26 kills on the season. Libero Taylor Johnson, outside hitter Bria Woodard, and middle blocker Cimone Woodard, all freshman, have shown their value to the team as well. 

Scouting Report

Game One

Opponent: College of Charleston, 3-1

Game Time: 12 p.m. on Friday

Game Two

Opponent: Duke University, 2-0

Game Time: 7 p.m. on Friday

TV: ACCX

Game Three

Opponent: Howard University, 2-1

Game Time: 12 p.m. on Saturday

Miami RedHawks

Record: 0-3

Projected Lineup

Player (position, height, key stat) 

Taylor Nomanson (libero, 5’7’’, 32 digs)

Gaby Harper (outside hitter, 6’1’’, 26 kills)

Sophie Riemersma (right side, 6’1’’, 29 kills)

Maggie McCrary (middle hitter, 6’1’’, 15 kills)

Allyson Severance (outside hitter, 6’1’’, 5 kills)

Jennifer Schulze (setter, 5’7’’, 3 service aces)

@baileyalthauser

althaube@miamioh.edu