CSDI hosts events in celebration of Bisexual Awareness Week

Miami's CSDI held a number of events in honor of Bisexual Awareness week.

Miami University’s Center for Student Diversity and Inclusion (CSDI) is hosting events in celebration of national Bisexual Awareness Week Sept. 16-23.

April Callis, associate director of LGBTQ+ initiatives, gave a presentation titled “Bisexuality: A Deeper Dive” Sept. 21 in Shideler Hall. Callis presented her research on the history of bisexuality, adjacent identities and instances of biphobia while sharing her personal experiences and welcoming audience participation.

The Bisexual Research Center defines bisexuality as the “potential for sexual and emotional attraction to more than one gender.”

Building on this definition, Callis discussed the ways in which the nuances of gender and sexuality have influenced the definition of bisexuality over time and the various identities and labels related to bisexuality. 

The bulk of the lecture focused on biphobia and bi erasure.

“People were open about, ‘No, I wouldn’t date a bisexual,’ ‘Bisexual people are confused’ or ‘Bisexual people are slutty’ or whatever terrible, not true things that people were saying,” Callis said. “But then, when I started doing this work as a professional, I really put together the impact that has on bisexual people.”

Callis presented research that showed the negative implications of these damaging stereotypes on bisexual-identifying individuals. 

“We know that bisexual people face increased levels of mental health issues and depression, increased levels of suicidality versus gay or straight people,” Callis said. “All of this adds up.”

Leah Vanasdale, a first-year university studies major, said she appreciated the inclusive space encouraged by the event.

“I think a lot of people don’t really realize that bisexual people face rejection not only from heterosexual people but also from some within the queer community itself,” Vanasdale said. “And having events like this with a space to hear about bisexuality and people’s lived experiences of it can be incredibly helpful for people to see.”

Callis also serves as the faculty advisor to Spectrum, Miami University’s LGBTQ+ focused student organization that provides a space for all LGBTQ+ identifying students and allies. But the goal of this week’s events was to provide an opportunity for community among students identifying as bisexual+ that was not available before.

Callis stressed that while these events are in celebration of Bisexual Awareness Week, all students and faculty are welcome. 

“I am thinking about bisexuality really broadly,” Callis said. “Bi+, bi umbrella or bi adjacent identities. There are so many other identities, like pansexual or queer and biromantic, so if anyone feels like, ‘I don’t know if I’m included,’ please feel free to come.”

A Bi Pride and Awareness social will be held Sept. 24 in Armstrong 3032 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. 

Playfully named “bi-rate social,” the event features a pirate theme and is intended to be a casual gathering with crafts and refreshments with the goal of providing a sense of community for Miami students.

wilcoxee@miamioh.edu