Established 1826 — Oldest College Newspaper West of the Alleghenies

RedHawks go winless to open their season at the Marshall Invitational

<p>Senior outside hitter Gaby Harper sets up for a serve at Millett Hall.</p>

Senior outside hitter Gaby Harper sets up for a serve at Millett Hall.

The Miami RedHawks women’s volleyball team lost all three of its matches this weekend at the Marshall Invitational in Huntington, West Virginia. 

Play opened up on Friday night when the ’Hawks took on the Austin Peay State University Governors. 

The RedHawks pulled out a 25-19 victory in the first set with three kills from junior outside hitter Lindsay Taylor and two blocks by freshman middle hitter Brooke Cirigliano. 

After rallying hard in the second set, the ’Hawks fell 27-25. Senior outside hitter Sophie Riemersma led the team with four kills while junior libero Jacquelyn Krumnauer tallied two service aces. 

Miami trailed early in the third set, but came back to win the frame, 25-18. Senior outside hitter Gaby Harper racked up six kills while junior outside hitter Allyson Severance had five. 

The RedHawks fought hard in the fourth set, but were unable to keep the lead, allowing the Governors to win 25-21. The match was tied up at two. 

The Governors took the final set 15-10 to win the match 3-2. 

Severance led Miami with 14 kills, while senior setter Jennifer Schulze had career highs of 25 assists and 18 digs. 

On Saturday morning, the RedHawks fell to the Alabama Crimson Tide in three sets. 

Miami was the first to score during the first set, but Alabama was able to pull out a 25-15 win. 

In the second set, the Crimson Tide pulled ahead early and never faltered. They won the set 25-17. 

The RedHawks took an early lead in the third set, but after a seven point run from Alabama, they could not take back the game. The Crimson Tide won 25-20, taking the match 3-0. 

Enjoy what you're reading?
Signup for our newsletter

Riemersma led the RedHawks with seven kills, and freshman setter Gracie Norris put up 19 assists. 

The RedHawks faced the host of the invitational, the Marshall Thundering Herd, on Saturday evening for the last match of the weekend. 

After a tough battle, Miami fell 25-22 in the first set. Harper led the team with three kills while Norris had six assists. 

Marshall took the lead early in the second set and kept the lead until the RedHawks tied it up at 12. After a long battle, Miami took the set 29-27, tying the match at one set apiece. 

The third set was close towards the start , but Miami took control with a 12-11 lead and never looked back. The ’Hawks sealed the deal with a kill from Riemersma to take the set, 25-23. 

Miami scored first in the fourth set, but Marshall then went on a 8-0 run and maintained the lead for the remainder of the game. The Thundering Herd ran away with a 25-14 victory to send the match into a fifth set. 

Marshall came out strong in the fifth set, starting it out with a 4-0 run. Miami came back with their own 4-0 run to tie the set. The teams rallied hard, but in the end, it was the Thundering Herd that scored the last point to take the set, 15-11, and the match 3-2. 

Miami is now 0-3 to start the season for the first time since 2015. 

The RedHawks will continue their season next weekend at the Duke Invitational in Durham, N.C. The team’s first game will be against the College of Charleston at noon on Friday, Sept. 3.