Volleyball set to face top-seeded Bowling Green in MAC tournament

<p>Senior right side Avarie Powell (pictured, middle) gets a block during a weekend series vs. Eastern Michigan.</p>

Senior right side Avarie Powell (pictured, middle) gets a block during a weekend series vs. Eastern Michigan.

The Miami volleyball team knew that they needed to sweep Central Michigan to even have a chance to make the Mid-American Conference (MAC) tournament. 

They did so, in dramatic fashion.

The RedHawks won both matches by a score of 3-2, coming back from a 2-0 deficit both times to lock up the fourth and final seed in the tournament. The ‘Hawks got a break when Kent State was swept by Western Michigan, allowing Miami to slide into the fourth seed.

The team is set to play the Bowling Green Falcons, who are the number one seed with a 20-1 record. Since the top seed hosts the tournament, the RedHawks will have to beat the best team in the conference on their home floor.

The Falcons narrowly missed out on an undefeated season, losing to Toledo on March 23.

In the last matchup between these two squads, Miami took the first two sets before Bowling Green came back and won the fifth set, 15-13.

The RedHawks will look to replicate their last performance against the Falcons and make sure they lock up the victory.

If the team manages to beat BG, they will play the winner between Western Michigan and Ohio, who will play immediately after the RedHawks-Falcons match.

Players To Watch

Although Miami is loaded with seniors, the team’s chance to win against Bowling Green rests on the shoulders of underclassmen. Junior Gaby Harper is one of the team’s best all-around players, and middle hitters Maggie McCrary and Abby Stratford - both freshmen - will play key roles against the Falcons. 

The seniors - setter Morgan Seaman, libero Abigail Huser, and right sides Sarah Wojick and Avarie Powell - will be playing to extend their careers.

The Falcons are led by their outside hitters: junior Katelyn Meyer and sophomore Indra Petrova. The pair has recorded 292 kills and 282 kills, respectively. Junior setter Hanna Laube is also important, as she gets everyone on the floor involved with her passing.

SCOUTING REPORT 

The Game 

Game time: 4:30 p.m. Friday at Stroh Center

TV: ESPN+

Radio: Miami Radio Network 

MIAMI REDHAWKS 

Record: 13-8 

PROJECTED LINEUP 

Player (position, height, key stat) 

Gaby Harper (outside hitter, 6’1”, 211 kills) 

Abigail Huser (libero, 5’8”, 394 digs) 

Allyson Severance (outside hitter, 6’1”, 26 service aces) 

Sarah Wojick (right side, 6’0”, 231 kills) 

Morgan Seaman (setter, 5’10”, 766 assists)

Maggie McCrary (middle hitter, 6’1”, 51 blocks) 

BOWLING GREEN FALCONS 

Record: 20-1

PROJECTED LINEUP

Player (position, height, key stat) 

Indra Petrova (outside hitter, 6’0”, 282 kills)

Hanna Laube (setter, 5’10”, 798 assists)

Katie Kidwell (middle hitter, 79 blocks)

Katelyn Meyer (outside hitter, 5’10”, 292 kills)

Jacqueline Askin (outside hitter, 6’1”, 179 kills)

Nikolija Katanic (middle hitter, 6’0”, 41 blocks)

@LukasTheDream

nelso156@miamioh.edu