TMS Staff Picks: October 2020

During quarantine, our sophomore and junior editors started to contribute to a monthly playlist where we all put in our five favorite songs for the month. Below, all of the contributors posted their favorite song and an explanation on why they chose it.

“Calling All the Monsters” — China Anne McClain

Alright, I will say it. This song is the only Halloween song I need. Forget “This is Halloween” from “The Nightmare Before Christmas.” Forget “The Monster Mash.” This is it. This song came out when I was 12, and it instantly throws me into a spooky mood, and dare I say it, it is a Halloween classic. Best believe if Miss McClain calls, you better put on your costume and start dancing. – David Kwiatkowski, Culture & Entertainment Editor

“War” — IDLES

British post-punk band IDLES often seem contradictory with their unique pairing of a monstrous, aggressive sound with messages of self-love and pacifism. This song, which takes a strong anti-war stance, sounds like pure violence, almost like a plane crash. It’s perfect. – Owen Berg, Design & Style Editor

“Which Witch” — Florence + The Machine

While this song has been out since 2015, I always seem to find my way back to it near Halloween. This song evokes rousing, witchy feelings within me. Florence Welch’s powerhouse of a voice moves me like no other. She sings the song as if she was present at the Salem witch trials, and you can feel it. No song makes me more excited for spooky season than this. – Sarah Grace Hays, Multimedia Editor

“It’s Too Late” — Carole King

Oh, people. This song is not new. In fact, it originally came out in 1971 on Carole King’s album “Tapestry,” which is essentially my non-religious ass’s bible. This track is perfect for a gloomy day when you’re looking to get in your feelings a little bit. While the other songs on this album are amazing in their own regard, there’s something about listening to “It’s Too Late” on a brisk October morning that makes you stare out of your window holding a hot cup of joe and thinking of an ex-lover who disappointed you. – Rebecca Wolff, Opinion Editor

“Graveyard” — Mitch Grassi (Feist cover) 

Chills. Everytime. The first verse paints the most eerie image of a graveyard, with “dirt and grass” and the moon sailing past, then the haunting calls to bring back the dead. Though he has a range nearly on par with the late Freddie Mercury, Grassi sings this song in a low register. The slow-moving melody is swept along with his smooth and melancholic tone. While this is no upbeat, Halloween party song, it’s one to listen to on a gloomy evening by a fire. – Maggie Peña, Multimedia Editor 

“Pickled Ginger” — Mac Ayers

I will take this time to talk about my love and devotion for Mr. Ayres. The jazzy/R&B artist has songs that hit in every season, but this soulful song has the potential to warm you up as we enter the fall season. Everything about this interlude of his second studio album is perfect. But don’t just listen to me blab about it, get your phone out and tune in yourself :)  – Briah Lumpkins, News Editor 

“Up Up and Away” — Juice Wrld

Music has always been and always will be an important part of my life. I easily get emotional and feel goosebumps run up my arms when I hear a song that strikes a particular chord within me, and “Up Up and Away” is no exception. Partially because we’re hearing his lyrics from beyond the grave, and partially because Juice Wrld tells us that life is a ride, and sometimes we crash. But the happy beat under the lyrics reminds me that we can always get back up. – Jenna Calderón, Assistant Culture Editor 

“Halloween” – marinelli

Spotify created a playlist called “undercurrents,” and if you aren’t listening to it, you’re missing out. That’s where I found this gem of a song. Despite its title, “Halloween” doesn’t really have much to do with the holiday at all. It features what I’d call a “soft indie beat,” with lyrics that make you feel somewhat melancholy. While this song does put me in my feels, I have to admit I do enjoy listening to it on car rides, especially when I’m pretending I’m in a movie. If that’s your type of vibe for music, then consider checking this song out. Unlike everything else this month, it won’t scare you. – Sam Cioffi, Assistant Magazine Editor

“Heather” – Conan Gray

I first heard parts of this song on TikTok (yes, I know that’s cringey). But after hearing just short clips of the chorus, I knew I wanted to hear more. The song’s message of struggling to navigate through an unrequited teenage crush is so timeless. As one of the few openly gay kids in my high school, I knew the feeling well. The slow, acoustic sound of “Heather” coupled with Gray’s relatable lyrics make the song perfect for the fall and a perfect way to reminisce on the teenage love stories that never were. – Tim Carlin, News Editor