Miami baseball brings out the brooms

<p>Charlie Harrigan inches off third base against Milwaukee. The RedHawks swept the series between March 7-8.</p>

Charlie Harrigan inches off third base against Milwaukee. The RedHawks swept the series between March 7-8.

The RedHawks did some spring cleaning as they swept Milwaukee last weekend at Hayden Park.

Miami claimed all three games in the series, going undefeated in a Saturday doubleheader before taking the Sunday finale.

The RedHawks got a late start to the weekend after Friday’s game was pushed back to Saturday due to weather concerns.

“It’s always, for us, one game at a time, one pitch at a time,” Miami head coach Danny Hayden said. “It’s getting that first one, and once that game is over, whether you win or lose it, you try to get past that one as quick as you can and get ready for the next one.”

The RedHawks win both games in Saturday’s doubleheader

The RedHawks started to shine in the eighth inning of Saturday’s first game. Senior second baseman Will Vogelgesang hit a one-run homer, which tied the game at 1-1. 

In the tenth inning, junior center fielder Cristian Tejada singled. Vogelgesang was hit by a pitch afterward, and senior right fielder Landon Stephens walked. Sophomore Cole Andrews pinch hit for redshirt freshman Stephen Krause. Andrews singled to end the game and the RedHawks won, 2-1. 

Tejada and Vogelgesang carried that momentum over to the second game, when they both singled in the first inning. After a steal placed them on second and third, Stephens singled, driving in two runs and advancing to second on a late throw to the plate. Stephens stole third and scored on a sacrifice fly from Andrews. 

In the bottom of the sixth, senior left fiedler Charlie Harrigan reached first base on a fielder’s choice. Junior first baseman Michael Morissette singled and reached second on a throwing error. Harrigan scored on a wild pitch and Morissette was safe on a rundown to home plate. 

Sam Bachman goes eight innings

Sophomore pitcher Sam Bachman started for the RedHawks in Saturday’s first game. He pitched eight out of the game’s 10 innings. 

“I do feel like I could’ve [pitched more innings], but my pitch count was already at 114,” Bachman said. “We still have a long season ahead, and I think it’s smart to cut the start at that point.”

Bachman had a rough start this season, allowing 11 runs in three innings during Miami’s season opener with Texas A&M. In Saturday’s game, he pitched eight full innings and only allowed one run.

“I just kept trusting the process and pushing through,” Bachman said. “It’s kind of part of it that you have some bad days, but it’s always staying focused on each game.”

Bachman seems to be getting in the groove of things after his third start of the season. 

“I’m going to keep going each day at a time, working as hard as I can each day,” Bachman said. “By doing that, we make a great year, and as a team, I think that’s our mentality.”

Bachman’s ERA is 3.42 with nine earned runs in 23.2 innings pitched.

The RedHawks finish strong

In the third inning of Sunday’s game, Miami set the stage for Stephens. After the RedHawks loaded the bases, he cleared them with a grand slam.

The RedHawks put seven more runs on the scoreboard after walks, wild pitches and three hits in the fifth inning. They added two more runs in the seventh. 

In the bottom of the eighth inning, Zapp singled and scored on a double by redshirt senior Kyle Winkler, giving Miami its 16th and final run in a 16-7 victory.

The RedHawks are away for one game this week. Although the team has struggled on the road, Hayden is confident going into Tuesday’s game. 

“It’s exciting to get back on the field with Wright State,” Hayden said. “I think our focus is good, and I think it’s coming.”

After the game against Wright State, the RedHawks return home for a three-game series with Penn State this weekend.

@lilyfreiberg 

freibell@miamioh.edu