Grant Frederic: ‘I’ve gotten my confidence back’

After moving into Anderson Hall as a freshman, Grant Frederic never thought senior year was ever going to come this quickly.

Now, with an increased role in the lineup, for the senior defenseman on Miami’s hockey team, it’s all about being a leader. 

“I’m an older guy,” Frederic said. “There were guys that helped me adjust when I started. Now, for me, it’s about helping them.”

The St. Louis native has appeared in 50 career games, registering seven assists. 

Still looking for his first career goal, he’s played in all three of the RedHawks’ contests this season, registering two shots on net. In Game One of the campaign against Bowling Green, Frederic had a career-high three blocked shots.  

“I had a big summer,” he said. “I switched trainers. I worked pretty hard to know our systems and refine my identity as a player. I’ve learned a lot about myself. I’ve gotten my confidence back.”

Frederic’s identity is simple. He wants to be hard to play against. Don’t expect anything crazy out of Frederic on the ice this season.

“I want to be physical and I want to be challenging to oppose. I use my shot to my advantage. I’m kind of an even-keeled player,” he said. 

With the unofficial countdown on to the end of his time with the RedHawks, Frederic looks back with jubilation but wants to make his final season one to remember. 

In the rebuilding phase of Miami hockey, “Freddy,” as he’s known throughout the locker room, wants to accomplish just one thing before departing Oxford. 

“As a team, we need to show everyone in our league and across the nation we’re not backing down. It’s about forming that hard-to-play-against mentality,” he said. “I have memories here forever. There’s been so many ups and downs. For me, it’s all just been a blur.”

@real_PattyG

geshanp@miamoh.edu