4 more sexual assaults reported, bringing total number to 11

Four more sexual assaults were reported to Oxford and Miami police, bringing the total number of incidents reported this semester to 11. During the first month of 2018-2019 school year only six sexual assaults were reported. 

The Miami Student reported on Sept. 17 that there were a total of eight sexual assaults reported. But the Miami University Police Department (MUPD) later ruled that a sexual assault report on Central Quad was “unfounded,” meaning MUPD did not have enough evidence to charge anyone.

The latest reports include two separate incidents from Saturday, Sept. 7.

An officer from the Oxford Police Department (OPD) responded to a call from McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital after a woman was treated for sexual assault, but the survivor left and did not want to file a report. 

Campus Security Authority reported the second assault to MUPD, saying that someone was fondled at the Brick Street Bar & Grill.

The two other incidents happened last week.   

On Sept. 18 at 7:10 p.m., someone reported an additional sexual offense to MUPD. According to police records, the offense occurred on campus, but it is not certain where or when it occurred. 

And, over the weekend, OPD received a report that a man at Brick Street came up behind a woman and bit her on the neck, face, chest and lips before assaulting her on the dance floor.

The woman said she did not know the man who sexually assaulted her and was unable to give a complete description of him. The investigation is ongoing, but no charges have been filed yet, according to the incident report.

Miami’s sexual assault resource guide can be accessed here. Along with information on the reporting process, the site offers advice on what to do if you or someone you know is sexually assaulted.

Sexual assault survivors who wish to report an incident can contact campus security enforcement, including the Miami University Police Department at 513-519-2222, the Oxford Police Department at 513-523-4321, the Coordinator of Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Program at 513-529-1870 and any athletic coaches, academic or student organization advisor. 

If students wish to speak to a non-mandatory reporter for confidential support, they can call or text Miami’s campus-based support specialists from WomenHelpingWomen at 513-431-1111. 

WomenHelpingWomen is available from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day and is also reachable through email at MU@womenhelpingwomen.org.

More information and resources can be accessed at womenshealth.gov.

haubence@miamioh.edu