Miami alum becomes youngest head coach in NFL history

<p>Miami alum Sean McVay (pictured, right) will be making his second Super Bowl appearance.</p>

Miami alum Sean McVay (pictured, right) will be making his second Super Bowl appearance.

Emily Simanskis, Sports Editor

Miami alumnus, Sean McVay was named the head coach of the Los Angeles Rams on January 12th. He becomes the youngest head coach in NFL history at age 30.

McVay replaces Jeff Fisher, who was fired 13 games into the Rams' season and interim coach John Fassel.

"This is a great day as we welcome Sean McVay as our new head coach," Rams Owner/Chairman E. Stanley Kroenke said on January 12th. "The accomplishments and success that he has had in less than a decade in our league are impressive. We are confident in his vision to make this team a consistent winner and we will all continue to work together to achieve our ultimate goal - bringing a Rams Super Bowl championship home to Los Angeles."

McVay was officially introduced on Jan. 13 via press conference as Rams C.O.O. and E.V.P. of Football Operations Kevin Demoff said, "It's a great day for the Los Angeles Rams to be sitting here to announce Sean McVay as our next head coach for the franchise."

Demoff went on to explain all that the Rams' organization was looking for in a head coach--someone who is a skilled communicator, an innovative tactician and an energetic presence--and emphasized that McVay is all of these things.

"I am incredibly honored by this opportunity and I want to start by thanking Mr. Kroenke and Kevin Demoff for their faith in me to lead the Los Angeles Rams as head coach," McVay said. "Collectively, we are committed to building a championship caliber team, and I'm excited to start that process and make our fans proud."

McVay has spent the past three years with the Washington Redskins' as their offensive coordinator after being promoted to the position in 2014.

During the 2015 season and under McVay's scheme and instruction, the Redskins' quarterback Kirk Cousins broke the team's records for attempts, completions, passing yards and 300-yard passing games in a single season. Jordan Reed, the Redskins' tight end, also broke team records in 2015 with 87 receptions for 952 yards.

His offense also recorded Top 10 rankings in third down percentage, red zone scoring percentage, yards per play and points per game. The Redskins also led the NFL with a team-record 69.5 completion percentage in 2015.

Prior to working as the offensive coordinator, McVay was the team's tight end coach for the 2011-13 seasons and was an offensive assistant for a year in 2010.

In 2009, McVay was the wide receivers/quality control coach for the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League (UFL). The Tuskers had a perfect 6-0 season before losing in the UFL's championship game.

Besides McVay's energy and impressive resume that made him a strong candidate for the head coach position, McVay's connections to Jon Gruden, a consultant to Demoff during the search, helped gain early entry to the NFL.

McVay began working in the NFL as an assistant wide receivers' coach with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2008 under Gruden, who McVay acknowledged is a family friend. McVay also worked under Jon's brother Jay during his time as the offensive coordinator in Washington.

McVay played for Miami from 2004-07 as a wide receiver and earned Miami's Scholar-Athlete Award in 2007 for excelling in the classroom and in the athletic arena. During his time as a RedHawk, McVay caught 39 passes for 312 yards.

Though there is notable buzz about the Rams' new, young hire who turns 31 on Jan. 24, McVay has his work cut out for him. The Rams finished the season at 4-12--it's the team's 13th consecutive non-winning season. McVay has already started to assemble his coaching staff.

"I'm very excited to be here as the head coach of the Los Angeles Rams," McVay said at the Jan. 13 press conference. "It's humbling, but I'm excited to get going."