Blue Lives Matter and police criticism aside, MUPD proves its worth

Miami University Police efforts to enhance student-officer relations on campus have led officers to include jump-start students' cars and lend money to students.

By Hannah Meibers, Guest Columnist

As I write this article, I can hear the echo of police sirens outside my window. While I'm cozy in bed during these early hours of the morning, the MUPD is wide awake.

At Miami University, we're lucky enough to have our own police department comfortably on campus. In my opinion, the MUPD adds a unique and secure aspect to our campus -- but others don't always share this appreciation.

It's disappointing at 2 in the morning when you hear a drunk college student spouting profanity at a police cruiser as it drives by. It's disrespectful to the men and women in blue. Now, I am not one to enforce the "Blue Lives Matter" spiel, but I do believe in the good intentions of police officers. As one of the most time consuming and stressful jobs in America, policemen and policewomen aren't chosen on a whim. I believe in the system of police training and schooling, to ensure that we have the best in the business.

Having said that, I don't think police officers have emulated superheroes too much lately. With the various past allegations of police targeting minority men and women, some communities are viewing anybody in a uniform as a villain. I think it's important to remember why communities are unsettled with the police enforcement: prejudice.

However, we forget that being prejudiced and stereotyping others can come in many forms. Assuming a police officer is not going to do their duty because of the uniform they wear is stereotyping. We can't assume every officer has bad intentions simply because we heard about a bad situation in a different city. I firmly believe that the Miami University Police Department has the students and staff's best interest in mind.

After a fun night out, I love eating at Pulley Diner. I always see a police officer on duty, wide-eyed and smiling. It's so encouraging to watch students sit and talk with the officer, whether it's about their night, or about how the officer's shift is going. This is when I feel officers are most appreciated.

Beyond adults being role models as I've gone through life, they've also been enemies. Being reprimanded is no one's favorite activity, especially for eighteen to twenty-three year olds. Adults are notorious for telling high school and college students what they've done wrong or what they could've done better.

Having an adult whose occupation is to enforce laws upon us is like a villain on steroids. But if they act as if they're our friend and our protector, like the officers on our campus, it changes the game. The police officers on Miami's campus treat each student with respect, as long as they reciprocate said respect.

During nights, or even days, when I'm walking the streets alone, it's comforting to know that the MUPD is always looking out for me. I receive texts from the police department through Miami's emergency text messaging system and have the advantage of the Blue Light Emergency System as well, creating a safe and secure environment for all students, staff and residents of Oxford, Ohio.

meiberhl@miamioh.edu