2016 commencement speaker announced

By Abbey Gingras, News Editor

[media-credit name="Miami University News and Communications" align="alignnone" width="165"]Robinson_Ken_PROMOPIC[/media-credit]

Miami University announced yesterday that Sir Ken Robinson would give the commencement address at the spring 2016 graduation ceremony in May.

Robinson, 65, is an internationally-renowned speaker who focuses on creativity, tying his upcoming graduation speech to Miami's theme of creativity and innovation for the 2015-2016 school year.

Previous graduation speakers have also connected to yearly themes - in 2014, Forest Whitaker spoke for the Year of Celebrating Freedom. In 2012, composer A.R. Rahman spoke for the Year of the Arts.

Robinson is best known for his TED talk videos, which have more views than any other TED talk speaker in history. His most well-known speech, "Do Schools Kill Creativity?" has over 37 million views.

He was knighted in 2003 for his work in the arts and the field of education. He is also a published author - his novel, "Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education," came out in 2015. Another work, "Finding Your Element: How to Discover Your Talents and Passions and Transform Your Life," was published in 2013.

Robinson is a native of the United Kingdom and continues to serve as a professor emeritus at the University of Warwick in England. He has appeared on television networks such as CBS and CNN, and radio stations including NPR and BBC.

Miami's spring commencement ceremony is at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 14 at Yager Stadium.