’Hawks look to continue four-game win streak

By Harrison Schwarz, For The Miami Student

The Miami University women's soccer team (6-3) looks to continue its four-game winning streak this weekend against Central Michigan University (2-6-1) and the University of Toledo (4-7).

Captain and senior midfielder Haley Walter has enjoyed the team's recent success, but said she is focused on making sure the team keeps up their strong play.

"I mean it's definitely exciting," she said. "It's good momentum going into the weekend, but we also are taking it one game at a time. Keeping our next game as our most important game. We want to make sure that we are playing hard for a full 90 minutes in both games this weekend."

Junior goalkeeper Vic Maniaci has been sensational during MU's winning streak and has allowed only one goal over the four games. The lone goal came in a 2-1 win over Bowling Green University last weekend. Maniaci goals against average of .71 is the best in the MAC and .867 save percentage ranks third.

"I'm so proud of Vic I can't even tell you," head coach Bobby Kramig said. "Vic has just matured so much as a person and as a division I athlete. She is just owning her penalty area right now. I can't imagine there's a better goalkeeper in the conference right now. I'm really pleased and impressed with her growth over the past year."

This weekend will mark the third straight week the RedHawks will be on the road. Coach Kramig knows this is a long time away from home, but believes his team will make the necessary adjustments for the games.

"I think we will be ok," Kramig said. "Playing on the road is always hard. Every place is different. All fields have their own characteristics and it's always on the visiting team to adjust. This weekend is no different. It is what it is and we just have to go play."

Central Michigan is coming off their first weekend of MAC play where they lost 1-0 to Western Michigan University and beat Northern Illinois University 2-0. The Chippewas are averaging 1.35 goals against per match, which is 7th in the MAC.

Toledo is 0-2 in the MAC after losing both games last weekend. The Rockets lost to Northern Illinois 2-0 and Western Michigan 1-0.

The 'Hawks are 10-12-2 all time against Central Michigan and 8-11-1 against Toledo, but Miami has not lost to either team since 2011.

The RedHawks face Central Michigan at 6 p.m. on Friday in Mount Pleasant, Michigan and Toledo at 1 p.m. on Sunday in Toledo, Ohio.