Miami Cross Country travels to Nebraska

Photo by Kim Parent
Photo by Kim Parent

By Grace Remington, For The Miami Student

The Miami University men's cross country team travels to Lincoln, Nebraska to compete in the Woody Greene Nebraska Invitational this weekend.

The RedHawks are moving forward with momentum from last weekend's dominant home performance.

"We're coming off a nice race here at home," head coach Warren Mandrell said. "They had a solid workout yesterday, so hopefully they'll be able to transform that into a good race."

However, this week's meet brings a different scene. The Red and White travel to Nebraska via a 10-11 hour bus ride. The team left Thursday in order to break up travel time.

Junior Matt Stewart does not think the traveling will have any physical effects on the runners.

"If anything, it'll be beneficial because we'll have more rest," Stewart said. "And in terms of bonding, it might help us mentally prepare."

On Friday, Mandrell and the squad plan to scope out the course. It will be the first time Miami has ever competed there.

"I think being in a new, different place always brings a little extra excitement," Mandrell said.

The course itself isn't the only thing new to the 'Hawks. This will be the first larger meet the team has competed in this season. Historically, this invitational has always been large. According to Mandrell, 25 schools participated in this race last year, and this year, there might even be more.

"In these larger meets, the goal is to still go out and attack and run together," Stewart said. "It may be harder to maneuver around the course, but it shouldn't be more challenging."

Mandrell expects strong performances by junior Joe Stewart and senior Dan Garleb, who last week placed second and fourth, respectively. Mandrell also mentioned redshirt freshman Andrew Dusing, who finished fifth and scored for his first time with the team.

"We don't have anyone who looks like they're struggling," Mandrell said. "So after those top runners, I couldn't tell you the order that they'll come in."