Tech Tip | Students and alumni should prepare for end of year email change

IT Services

Published: Monday, December 3, 2012

Updated: Monday, December 3, 2012 21:12

Beginning on December 31, IT Services at Miami will begin transitioning students and lifetime email users to a new Google domain for their email and calendar. This change is due to the University’s decision to change its domain name from muohio.edu to MiamiOH.edu.

Undergraduate, some graduate student, and lifetime email (alumni) accounts are currently being copied from the current muohio.edu domain to the new MiamiOH.edu domain and will be available on December 31. This copy process does not affect your current mail service.

After the migration your new email address will be uniqueid@MiamiOH.edu, but you will still be able to receive mail sent to your uniqueid@muohio.edu address until at least June 2014. You will want to notify those that you communicate with of your changing email address, and this includes any services you have set up with your Miami email address, including listservs, billing organizations, shopping websites, etc.

On or after the 31st, you should log in to myMiami.MiamiOH.eduusing your Miami UniqueID and password. That will synch your password to your new Google account. You can immediately access your Google account by clicking the "Mail" icon on the myMiami portal. If you have any questions before or after December 31, you can go to the Go Google web site www.MiamiOH.edu/GoGoogleor contact the IT Support Desk at ITHelp@MiamiOH.eduor (513) 529-7900.

As part of the migration, IT Services will be able to move data for all of the core Google apps to the new domain.  This includes:

• Gmail
  • Calendar
  • Contacts
  • Drive/Docs
  • Groups
  • Sites

Data that is part of the non-core Google Apps will need to be moved by the individual after the migration.  These apps include:

• Picasa web albums
  • YouTube
  • Google Blogs
  • Google Analytics

Instructions for how you can move your data are available at https://sites.google.com/a/miamioh.edu/go-google/migration-of-non-core-google-apps-account-data.

After the migration you will also need to update any mobile devices with the new email address (see https://sites.google.com/a/miamioh.edu/go-google/mobile-devices for instructions).