Women record eighth straight win

Published: Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 00:02

The Miami University men’s swimming and diving team fell 125-175 to Mid-American Conference (MAC) foe Eastern Michigan University on senior day, while the women’s team earned its eighth straight victory of the season with an 176-124 decision over the Eagles.

The men’s squad (4-3, 1-2 MAC) tasted defeat for the second straight weekend after being downed 134-166 by the University at Buffalo.

The women’s team (8-1, 6-0 MAC) has not been beaten in conference play since the 2011-12 season.

“We were behind the backs of our seniors,” junior Sam Crockett said. “Sophomores got wins and seniors got wins, so it was great to see that team effort. EMU won the conference last year, and it was like a boxing match today, punch after punch.”

Seniors Sean Minderlein, Michael Cavanaugh, Dan Nemeth and junior Joe Baumgartner and freshman Grant Stafford all picked up wins for the RedHawks. The relay team of Baumgartner, Stafford, sophomore Evan Bader and sophomore Heshan Unamboowe took first in the 200-medley relay.

“We’ve got a fast class coming in with some big shoes to fill,” junior Andrew Kilkenny said. “EMU is our biggest rival, so we’re chipping away at them. They came out on top but we’re getting faster and we’re getting better.”

On the women’s side, junior Katie Bootsma claimed the 100 and 200-meter backstroke as the Red and White had eight wins in individual events. Junior Courtney Collett, senior Cynthia Donovan, sophomore Aubrey Kluth, freshman Stephanie LeMire and juniors Annie Marquiss and Stephanie Pearce also tallied victories.

The ’Hawks also posted victories in two relay events as LeMire, Donovan, senior Brianna Fujan and sophomore Emma Szczupakiewicz took the 200-medley relay and the team of Marquiss, sophomore Sara Krueger, sophomore Natalie Rohr and junior Caitlin Fujan placed first in the 400-freestyle relay.