Swim teams train for Miami Invitational

Published: Monday, December 2, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 2, 2013 23:12

The Miami University men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams return to action Thursday in the Miami Invitational. The men’s team (3-1) is coming off its first loss of the season against Purdue University and the women’s team (4-1, 3-0 MAC) has been inactive since Nov. 8, following its fourth consecutive win and third straight Mid-American Conference (MAC) victory in an 173-125 decision against Ball State University. The Invitational will be the last meet of 2013 for each team.

Men’s head coach Pete Lindsay said a few of the teams competing on the men’s side are the University of Cincinnati, Wright State University, Denison University, Emory University and Urbana University.

Lindsay said Denison and Emory are two of the better Division-III teams and that Miami plans on using the meet to train for the MAC Championship.

“Each man will be swimming his best events and one or two secondary events as we use the meet to plan for the MAC Championships,” Lindsay said. “In many ways, the Invitational is a great rehearsal meet as it is a three day, morning heats and evening finals meet, just like the MAC meet. It requires the swimmers to gear up and recover quickly five times in three days with as many as nine races. The divers will be competing for the first time in all three events... There are nearly fifty divers competing so it will be very competitive.”

Junior Andrew Kilkenny said he was looking forward to the challenge.

“Heading into the meet this weekend, I expect to see some good races against schools that we usually don't get to compete against in-season,” Kilkenny said. “We have a lot of talent entered highly among several events, and it'll be fun to see how we match up against these teams as we compete for the top spot.”

Women’s head coach Mark Davis said the teams competition on the women’s side include Cincinnati, Wright State, Emory, Denison, Ball State University and the University of Illinois.

“We are very excited for the Miami Invitational,” Davis said. “The invite is a great way to end the first semester of training. The women have done an outstanding job this fall semester and we are excited to see how much progress we have made. We have had a couple of weeks just to focus on our training. We love swimming fast in our own pool... So it should be one of faster invites in a while. It will be fun to see our women continue to step up to the challenges they have faced all year.”

The Invitational begins at 6 p.m. Thursday and continues through Sunday.