RedHawks knock off Penguins for win

Published: Friday, December 6, 2013

Updated: Friday, December 6, 2013 10:12

The Miami University women’s basketball team earned its second win of the season Wednesday with a 70-67 win over the Youngstown State University Penguins (1-5).

“I thought we executed well at the end,” Miami head coach Cleve Wright said.

The RedHawks battled throughout the entire game, but the Penguins held a 67-61 lead with two minutes remaining.

The RedHawks were able to slow Youngstown State’s happy feet and pull to a 67-67 tie with 52 seconds to go in the game.

With just 14 seconds left, Miami junior guard Kindsay Brandt found senior guard Hannah Robertson on a laser beam-like pass for what would be the game winning layup.

“It was a play that we had set up in our offense,” Robertson said. “We had run it a couple of times earlier in the game so we kind of knew how they were going to play it. It couldn’t have been a more perfect pass from [Brandt].”

The Monday before the game, Robertson said the goal for the Red and White was to put two good halves together, and despite the win, Robertson thinks the RedHawks have room for improvement.

“The first half we came out a little bit slow,” Robertson said. “We weren’t really talking much and executing the way we were supposed to. We did something we haven’t been able to do in the past, which is find a way to win. I think that’s a positive that we were able to play a full 40 minutes.”

Robertson led the way for the RedHawks, with 15 points, eight rebounds and four assists in 32 minutes of action. Robertson has led the ’Hawks in scoring in three straight games and Wright said succinctly, “That is her role.”

Sophomore guard Maddie McCallie drained four three-point buckets for the RedHawks en route to a 12-point night.

“Part of [McCallie’s] role is to get open looks,” Wright said. “She had some open looks tonight and she was able to knock them down.”

Senior guard Haley Robertson played 32 minutes and contributed nine points, five rebounds and three assists. Brandt scored nine points and dished out a team high five assists, including the game winning dime.

The RedHawks have a short turnaround as they head to Highland Heights, Ky. for a 7 p.m. tip-off Saturday night against Northern Kentucky University (4-3).

“We’re off [Thursday], we only get one day of prep since we played on Sunday,” Wright said. “We’ll get ready to travel to Northern Kentucky on Saturday.”

The Norse are led by junior forward Melody Doss, who is averaging 21 points and eight rebounds per contest seven games into the season.

The RedHawks plan to take the momentum from Wednesday’s win into Saturday’s game.

“I think we can build on the fact that we know we can play our best,” Robertson said. “We can come to play as focused and as energetic on the road as we should, and we can find a way to win. We just need to do the things we know we can do on the road, and bring that for a full 40 minutes.”