RedHawks glide into weekend events

Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 24, 2013 22:01

The Miami University synchronized skating teams are continuing to train and clean up their routine for their next competitions in Sweden and Kalamazoo.

In practice, the teams have been working on details such as making different levels more clear in order to increase their technical score.

“We have definitely built a good foundation so far this year,” senior team member and senior Ingrid Benson said. “Now we continue to work synchronization and continuing to expand the programs with speed and flow, and making our interpretation of the performance better.”

The junior and collegiate teams will be competing for the Midwestern Championships in Kalamazoo Mich.

The senior team is headed to Sweden to compete for the Leon Lurje Trophy.

The Midwestern Championship provides the junior and collegiate teams the opportunity to continue to boost their score and compete against other teams before they compete at Nationals.

In order to compete at Nationals, the RedHawks first have to place in the top six at the Midwestern Championship.

Senior Lauren Bracken, collegiate team member, said the goals for the weekend are to continue to improve on a great start to the season, placing first in their first two competitions.

Bracken feels that the team is prepared, skating well as a unit, and they are mentally prepared with the same goals in mind for the upcoming competition.

“We want to have a really great performance that shows we deserve to be one of the best teams in the nation,” Bracken said.

In Sweden, the senior team will be competing against the two Swedish teams, one of which is the current world champion.

They’ll also be facing a team from Finland, and the Crystallettes, another United States team.

Head Coach Carla DeGirolamo feels the competition in Sweden is a great opportunity to perform in front of the international judges and technical specialists.

The team will see most likely see the judges again at the world championships in April.

“Going internationally to compete is always a really special experience for the team,” DeGirolamo said. “It’s exciting for them to take their skating into a different atmosphere and still really focus in on what we need to do [to succeed].”

DeGirolamo also said the Sweden competition allows the team a great opportunity to see other places and meet new people.

“Just to be able to compete against some of the top teams in the world and to skate for the United States is a cool experience,” Benson said.