RedHawks fall against Evansville

Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

Updated: Thursday, December 6, 2012 20:12

The Miami University men’s basketball team dropped its second consecutive game Wednesday night, falling to 3-4 on the season. The 94-68 loss the RedHawks suffered to the University of Evansville Purple Aces dropped Miami to 0-2 at the halfway point of the current four game road trip.

Miami was down early, after coming up on the wrong end of a 14-2 Evansville run with about nine minutes left in the first half, in what was a close game. Things continued to break down for the `Hawks, who found themselves in a 23 point hole, until junior guard Josh Sewell drained a three right before the halftime break.

The Aces shot 61 percent in the opening period, compared to just 35 for Miami.

“It was a mixture of both, giving up 46 points on bad defense and scoring just 26 in the first half, that costs us the game,” redshirt junior center Drew McGhee said. “They were just hitting all their shots, and it’s hard to come back, playing from that far behind.”

The RedHawks were a different team in the second half, offensively. Miami scored 19 points in seven minutes to close the gap to 15 at 60-45. Redshirt junior guard Allen Roberts led the RedHawks, shooting 65 percent from the field in the second half, including 66 percent from three, with 15 points. Junior forward Jon Harris and freshman guard Reggie Johnson added 13 and 11 points respectively.

Despite the dramatic offensive turnaround, Miami still surrendered 48 second-half points to Evansville on 65 percent shooting. Evansville’s three-point shooting skyrocketed as well, from 72 percent in the opening half to 85 in the final 20 minutes of play.

The RedHawks now round out their road trip with two games in Dayton, with the first coming against the University of Dayton tomorrow night at 8 p.m. The Flyers are 6-2 on the season, with both losses coming at a combined 11 points. Miami is the most recent victor in the series edging the Flyers in overtime last season 72-67. The series dates back to 1909, with Dayton holds a seven game all-time advantage.

“We have to be in the right mindset on the court,” Head Coach John Cooper said. “We knew this road stretch would be tough, but it’s the nature of the schedule. This rivalry dates back to what seems like forever, so there won’t be too many surprises on the court, but we need to play more sound basketball and come out of there with a win.”

Dayton is not a very big team, with its tallest player coming in at 6’9”, but the Flyers are a very physical team, averaging 32.8 rebounds a game.

“We need to be physical," McGhee said. “We have to put the last two games behind us, and focus on Dayton. We’ve been watching film, and scouting them a lot in practice so we can step out on the court and match up to everything they throw at us.”

Miami has its final two games in this road stretch to notch a win and avoid matching last year's season high four game losing streak, which the RedHawks suffered at three different times.