RedHawks drop 5-2 decision to Thundering Herd

Staff Writer

Published: Monday, February 11, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 11, 2013 21:02

After over four hours of action, the Miami University women’s tennis team fell to Marshall University 5-2 for its second consecutive loss after being defeated by Xavier University 3-4 last weekend. The defeat at the Huntington Tennis Club in Barboursville, W.Va. drops the RedHawks to 2-5 on the season with eight matches to go until the Mid-American Conference portion of their schedule starts.

On the Thundering Herd’s (3-4) side, the victory snapped a four-match losing streak to teams like West Virginia University, the University of Kentucky, and nationally ranked Indiana University and Purdue University (ranked 51st and 26th, respectively) with three matches to go until Conference USA play starts.

The match started off with an 8-4 decision in doubles play in favor of Marshall’s senior Dominika Zaprazna and junior Maria Voscekova over junior Nimisha Mohan and sophomore Christine Guerrazzi.Miami responded with a hard-fought 8-6 victory by the team of junior Christiana Raymond and sophomore Alix Thurman over the duo of sophomore Ellie Ball and senior Kara Kucin. The Herd answered back with an 8-2 triumph by junior Karlyn Timko and freshman Dana Oppinger over the freshman tandem of Ana Rajkovic and Chloe Heerden to take the doubles point.

In singles action, Marshall extended its lead to 2-0 as sophomore Kai Broomfield defeated Heerden 6-3, 6-4. The Red and White would then begin to rally as Mohan earned a 1-6, 6-2, 6-0 triumph over Ball to take Miami’s first point in the match. The Thundering Herd would bounce back with a pair of three-set wins of their own with Zaprazna earning a 6-2, 2-6, 6-4 win over Raymond at No. 1 and Oppinger defeating Guerrazzi at No. 4 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 to earn Marshall’s match clinching point. Thurman would earn the RedHawks final point in a 6-4, 6-7, 7-6 contest against Voscekova. In the closing match, Timko would defeat Rajkovic 7-5, 6-1.

“After this match I feel like I made an improvement in my mental game,” Thurman said. “I never got too negative and I kept believing that I was going to win and I pulled it off. Even though I was tired I kept telling myself not to give in if I wanted to win this match.”

Head coach Anca Dumitrescu also spoke of what she took away from the weekend.

“We definitely faced a lot of adversity this weekend and we have a lot to learn from it,” she said. “I believe that we have to continue to work hard and get each player on the team to play to their potential on the same day. I don't think we are anywhere close to our potential as a team yet but the beauty of tennis is that you have another opportunity to get closer to that potential each match. We have to stay positive and keep fighting for each other and for our goals.”

The RedHawks return to home to face Middle Tennessee State University at 10 a.m. on Sunday, February 17 at the Riverside Athletic Club in Hamilton. The Thundering Herd will go on to host Winthrop University at 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 15.