Red and White defeat UC in final match

Staff Writer

Published: Monday, November 26, 2012

Updated: Monday, November 26, 2012 22:11

After going through what can be considered a stagnant month of November, the Miami University volleyball team got its lone win in a 3-1 (24-26, 25-18, 25-22, 25-21) decision against the University of Cincinnati in the last match of the season.

The win by the RedHawks (10-20, 4-12 Mid-American Conference) snapped a 4-game losing streak overall and three consecutive defeats at the hands of UC (12-20, 9-6 Big East) since the annual series started up in 2009.

After a back-and-forth first set that eventually belonged to the Bearcats, the ’Hawks asserted themselves early in the second set with a 14-4 run and held the Cincinnati offense to a .000 hitting percentage in the set.

Things were much more competitive in the third set, with both teams essentially trading points with each other until the Red and White closed out the match on a 4-1 run to go up 2-1.

The fourth set was much like the previous one in that it was hotly contested and Miami pulled away late, also with a run of 4-1.

The RedHawks had a plethora of strong showings in last match of the season, especially the seniors who played their last game for the University and will move on to bigger and better things.

Senior outside hitter Lisa Treadway had perhaps her best match of the season with 10 kills, a .500 hitting percentage, nine digs and two blocks assists, while senior setter Amy Kendall and senior outside hitter/middle blocker Christina Menche also made significant contributions with 22 assists and six digs along with seven kills and three block assists respectively.

“It’s a great match to go out on,” Treadway said. “We had effective servers, passers, and some good blocking. The team played well.”

Sophomore setter/outside hitter and All-MAC First Team honoree Meg Riley continued to be a force for the ’Hawks with a near triple-double of 10 kills, 27 assists and eight digs.

Redshirt freshman middle hitter Jenny Ingle and sophomore middle hitter Chelsea Visk were factors with a combined 21 kills and seven block assists.

The Red and White as a team hit .338 and registered nine total blocks on the night, compared to Cincinnati’s .226 hitting percentage and three total blocks.

“Our middles hit great,” Head Coach Carolyn Condit said. “We got quality digs, passed well and our serving was better. It was a good team effort and it was good for our seniors to close out their careers with a win.”

The Bearcats had some solid performances as well. Senior outside hitter Megan Turner recorded a team-high 12 kills while senior setter Racheal Rohlfs helped out on offense with 37 assists. Collectively, UC outdug Miami 62-47 but could not overcome the 24 attack errors they committed on the night.

“We just came together and we played well,” Menche said. “It’s a good ending for these four years. There are still great things to come from the underclassmen.”