Potential RedHawks football coaches

What's Going Downey

Sports Editor

Published: Monday, December 2, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 2, 2013 23:12

The football season is finally over for Miami University, meaning everyone’s attention shifts to the coaching search. Based off previous comments from David Sayler; I think the hiring will come shortly, and will likely be an FCS coach. However, that is by no means a sure thing. There have been plenty of names thrown around, with varying degrees of likelihood. Here are 10 of the more interesting names. These are names that others have thrown out, not ones that I have personally heard. Of course, these are nothing more than rumors, so take them with a large grain of salt.

D.J. Durkin, DC, Florida

Durkin is currently the defensive coordinator at Florida, and has some MAC connections. He played at Bowling Green State University and coached there for two years. Sayler’s time at BGSU overlapped with Durkin’s for a year. Durkin would fit into Sayler’s pattern of hiring up and comers, but I think this is a longhsot. Durkin lacks head coaching experience, and he might have a shot at replacing Dave Clawson at Bowling Green, if Clawson leaves for a better gig.

Aaron Kromer, OC, Chicago Bears

A Miami alum, Kromer has been in the NFL since 2001. He does have head coaching experience, serving as the interim for the interim head coach for the New Orleans Saints when Joe Vitt and Sean Payton were suspended. However, he has been out of college football for over 10 years and his salary with the Bears is more than what Miami can pay.

Jim Tressel, former HC, Ohio State

Consider this a pipe dream for Miami fans. It does make some sense, Tressel did coach at Miami, but he seems to enjoy his current role at Akron. He also still has a five-year ‘show-cause’ penalty from his violations at OSU, which would cause him to miss the first five games and any potential bowl game. As sexy as the hire would be, I’d be shocked if it happens.

Kerry Coombs, CB coach and special team coordinator, Ohio State

Coombs has gotten attention as a potential hire from certain Cincinnati media personalities (looking at you Lance McAlister). The former Colerain high school head coach makes sense because he is a local guy and his son played at Miami. But he lacks college head coaching experience and I don’t see Coombs as the type of coach Sayler is looking for.

Lane Kiffin, former HC, USC

Just kidding. This is never going to happen.

Chuck Martin, OC, ND

Martin was an incredibly successful coach at Grand Valley State, where he replaced Brian Kelly. Martin would appear to be a good fit, and has a nice pedigree. He might be looking for a better job though. If Sayler doesn’t hire an FCS coach, my money is on Martin.

Eric Wolford, HC, Youngstown State

Wolford is the first of several guys that many likely haven’t heard of. He’s had some success at Youngstown State, and has improved the Penguins’ record each year. He has a nice staff at Youngstown State, led by tight ends coach Mark Mangino and offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery (Yes, that Shane Montgomery). That would be a nice contrast to the John Klacik-led staff that Don Treadwell put together, but I think Wolford is a long-shot.

Beau Baldwin, HC, Eastern Washington

This rumor exists mostly on internet forums, but it makes a lot of sense. He’s young and has had a tremendous amount of success at Eastern Washington. However, he’s never coached in the Midwest, so that transition could be a problem. Baldwin could make for a risky hire, but it could be a very profitable one as well.

Bob Stitt, HC, Colorado School of Mines

Stitt is a crazy dark horse, but bear with me here. Few know of Stitt, but he is a young coach with a brilliant offensive mind. He has done wonders with a school that is known for its demanding academics. I highly doubt Stitt gets the job, but I couldn’t resist putting him in here.