Osborn and Olowinski form dangerous duo

The Rieger Report

Multimedia Editor

Published: Thursday, January 31, 2013

Updated: Friday, February 1, 2013 00:02

The dynamic duo has landed at Miami University.

Women’s basketball stars Courtney Osborn and Kirsten Olowinski have dominated the court yet again this year. Each are on pace to average double figures and new career milestones have solidified Osborn and Olowinski as two of the greatest players in Miami women’s basketball history.

Osborn, the 5’10’’ guard from Fishers, Ind. quickly left her mark, becoming the fastest player to reach 1,000 points in school history, hitting the milestone her sophomore year. She is now less than 100 points away from passing Amanda Jackson as the school’s all-time leading scorer. Osborn also holds at least a share of the single-game records for most points, assists and field goals made.

She has been named the Mid-American Conference (MAC) East Division Player of the Week six times in her career and earned First Team All-MAC honors last year.

One of the most dominant players in Miami history, Osborn has the unique ability to score in nearly any situation.

Meanwhile, Olowinski, the 6’1’’ forward from Erie, Pa. has been a force in the post since stepping foot on campus four years ago. She became Miami’s all-time leading rebounder in December and creates mismatches due to her ability to dominate in the post, then step out and nail an 18-footer.

Miami’s two leading scorers have helped solidify a very young RedHawk squad, reliant on strong play from the Red and White’s only seniors and key contributions from juniors Haley and Hannah Roberston and Erica Almady.

Osborn and Olowinski are combining for more than 43 percent of Miami’s points this season. Meanwhile, the ’Hawks have only played three games where Olowinski did not lead the team in rebounding and have only played four games where either senior did not lead the team in scoring.

As the Red and White prepare for the final month of the season, the MAC title is once again within sight. Miami is tied for first in the east following a close loss Thursday against the University at Buffalo, setting up a crucial matchup in New York against the Bulls in three weeks.

The RedHawks understand what it will take to bring home the conference championship following a quick exit from the MAC Tournament last year, and will rely on strong performances from the dynamic duo down the stretch.

Miami has lost in the MAC Tournament quarterfinals three of the last four years and has not won the championship since 2008.

But this year is different.

With two of the most prolific players in program history playing alongside one another in their final seasons, Miami not only has the experience but also the drive it needs to capture the MAC.

Now we’ll see if Osborn and Olowinski can do something NBA greats John Stockton and Karl Malone never could: win a championship.