Miami sweeps Ohio, splits with Akron

Published: Thursday, April 18, 2013

Updated: Thursday, April 18, 2013 22:04

The Miami University softball team swept Ohio University (OU) in its doubleheader and finished the weekend by splitting a two-game series with the University of Akron, coming back from an 8-1 loss to take the victory 7-6 the following day. The RedHawks improved their conference record to 9-3 and 15-23 overall.

“I had a lot of adrenaline since it was my first time playing OU, the emotions were high, but we had our mind set on one game at a time,” Freshman pitcher Jenna Modic said.

The ’Hawks took the win in the first game against Ohio 1-0 when Modic had her first career shutout and then followed that victory with an 11-5 win with the help of a three run homer from Modic.

“For us to have swept OU, that’s huge,” Head Coach Clarisa Crowell said. “They are a great team and they are a great hitting team. But Jenna just had a great weekend; she came up big pitching in the circle and offensively.”

Modic said she felt well prepared for the game as the upperclassman had warned her about the aggressiveness and the loudness the rivalry brings to the stadium, and after sweeping Ohio said she felt good going into the Akron games.

The RedHawks couldn’t recover from a grand slam by senior first baseman and pitcher Alissa Birkhimer to give her team a 6-1 lead.

“We always play 110 percent even if one inning doesn’t go our way or we have a bad game,” Modic said. “We just try our best to flip the switch and to comeback and pick up the energy and one another up.”

The team’s mentality going in to the second game in the series was to forget about the previous loss and remain focused and determined that this next game was going to be its victory. Crowell said she felt the RedHawks were having an off day and they were not playing Miami softball in the first game.

“They don’t let outcome dictate their attitude and we called ourselves the comeback kids, and we don’t let outcome determine how we play,” Crowell said.

The following day the RedHawks were able to take a late lead thanks to three seventh inning runs. The two teams were tied at four entering the seventh inning. They needed all three runs to hold on to the 7-6 victory as Akron scored two runs in the bottom of the seventh.

“We had a double play to end the game and it could have very easily gone Akron’s way, but fortunately it went ours,” Crowell said.

The RedHawks will now face Northern Kentucky University (NKU) in a home and home series. NKU is currently 4-14 in conference play and 10-30 overall.

“It’s always good coming off of a win just because you can keep that rolling, and keep the momentum going,” Modic said.

We all have our problems, in sports and in life.

For some, it could be as important as not getting into graduate school this year. Maybe you tore your ACL and are undergoing season-ending surgery. It could just be something as small as scuffing your new Sperrys Uptown last night. Regardless of what is going wrong in your life right now, I want you to do something for me – take a deep breath and smile.

Wondering why I’m asking you to do this? Just bear with me for a minute or two.

Sports have the power to bring out the best in all of us – emotions are brought to the forefront as we pour our heart and soul into a game we love. Athletic competition has the ability to help us in a number of ways: it improves our self-worth, enhances our self-image and provides us with hours of fun, whether we are viewing or playing. For those few hours, everything else in the world doesn’t matter. You’re in the zone. You’re doing something you truly enjoy. But perhaps the greatest thing about sports is that it doesn’t matter who you are or what your situation is, there’s a venue for you to achieve your goals, however big or small.

One out of every 88 children in the U.S. will be born with an autism spectrum disorder (ASD), and for most of those kids, that perfect venue is much harder to come by. Though sports have that incredible capability to unite us, they can also divide us in an equal measure. From a young age, athletic ability defines how we view ourselves and others, and for many with an ASD, the intertwining of the athletic and social fabric of our lives often leaves a void that few of us truly understand.