Miami introduces Snyder as interim athletic director

Sports Editor

Published: Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 19:10

Snyder

Miami University Athletic Department

Steve Snyder

Two days following the departure of former Miami University Athletic Director (AD) Brad Bates, Miami has taken the next step in the search for Bates’ replacement, naming Steve Snyder interim athletic director Thursday.

The position is familiar territory for Snyder, who served as Miami’s interim athletic director in 2002 prior to the university’s hiring of Bates. Then, it took Miami 15 weeks to hire Bates as its permanent athletic director.

Snyder has nearly 42 years of experience working at Miami and retired in December 2011 after serving as secretary to the Board of Trustees and as executive assistant to the president. He graduated from Miami in 1973 with a degree in Political Science.

“He just seemed like the perfect candidate,” Miami President David Hodge said. “He knew the department, he’d been in the position before and he was willing to move around his family stuff in order to do this. We’re just very fortunate that he was available.”

Hodge said Snyder was the only person contacted about the position. Hodge introduced Snyder during a noon meeting Thursday between Snyder, Bates and the Miami Athletic Department.

“I think Steve Snyder is an excellent choice as the interim AD,” Assistant Athletic Director and Director of Broadcasting Steve Baker said. “I’ve know Steve for a lot of years prior to even working at Miami University and I thought he did an excellent job as interim when the search was taking place for who ultimately was Brad Bates taking the job, and I think he can handle the job this time as well. I for one am happy to have him back.”

Hodge said during Snyder’s term as interim athletic director and executive assistant to the president, he worked very closely with the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, which reported through Snyder to Hodge.

“The fact that he had also been the interim before … is a pretty unusual set of circumstances,” Hodge said. “He brings so much maturity, experience and knowledge [to the position].”

Miami’s hiring of Snyder is not effective immediately, as the details of his contract are still being determined. He will likely start within the next two weeks, according to the Office of the President. Hodge said Snyder’s contract would be month-by-month.

“He is the perfect fit for this transition,” Senior Associate Athletic Director for Business and Finance Josh Fenton said. “Number one he understands the institution from an administration standpoint, because he worked all those years in the President’s Office. Number two he’s done the job before, so he understands the landscape of what we face down here in the athletic department, and number three he’s somebody that … brings progressive stability to the situation.”