Miami hits the road to take on UIC

Published: Friday, November 22, 2013

Updated: Friday, November 22, 2013 01:11

The Miami University women’s basketball team is heading to Chicago to take on the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) 4 p.m. Saturday.

The RedHawks (1-2) look to continue their winning ways after they earned their first victory last Saturday over Chicago State University.

The RedHawks return to action after a one week break, and head coach Cleve Wright said the week allows the RedHawks to improve.

“[The break] allows us to iron out some issues we’re having and maybe install a thing or two that we’ve been trying to get to,” Wright said. “I think in a week you can get better in a lot of things. It gives us another week to work on our fundamentals, another week to work on our offense, another week to work on our defensive rotations.”

Freshman forward Nicole Anderson, who is averaging a double-double with 12.3 points and 11 rebounds per game, said she hopes the RedHawks can get better as a team during the break. Anderson leads the Red and White in minutes per game, averaging 28 per game.

“We’re just trying to get better every day in practice so we can improve from the mistakes we made in the game before,” Anderson said. “We’re looking to put together more minutes of good basketball so we can get another win on Saturday.”

Anderson said her teammates and coaches have made the transition to college basketball easier, and she hopes the team can improve moving forward.

“I hope we can improve as a team,” Anderson said. “I’m not really concerned with my own personal stats. I just want to help the team get better and I hope the team does good this year.”

Wright said he hopes to work on defense, among other things, during the week break.

“Our goal is to get better every day,” Wright said. “In practice and in every game we want to get better.”

The Flames of UIC (2-2) are led by redshirt sophomore forward Ruvanna Campbell. After the first three games, the transfer from La Salle University was averaging 15 points per game and 10 rebounds per game.

Also contributing for the Flames is redshirt senior center Katie Hannemann, who is averaging 10 points and nine rebounds per game.

The ’Hawks have been practicing since Sept. 30, and Wright said he plans to take advantage of the time the RedHawks have to improve.

“Habits are not created in a couple weeks,” Wright said. “We’re roughly about six weeks in, and this will give us another seventh week to solidify what we’re trying to teach.”

The ’Hawks have an opportunity to improve to .500 Saturday, before they return to Oxford for two home games.