Miami finishes season without a win

Published: Monday, December 2, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 2, 2013 23:12

If losing one game leaves a bad taste in your mouth, try to imagine that unsavory taste for 12 straight weeks.

That nightmarish scenario became reality for the Miami University football team this year. After falling in the final game of the season to the Ball State Cardinals 55-14, Miami locked in an 0-12 record, the worst in program history.

The Cardinals (10-2 7-1 MAC) are arguably among the nation’s best passing offenses. Led by senior quarterback Keith Wenning, Ball State cruised to an offensive-fueled win to end their regular season. Wenning completed 82 percent of his passes for 445 yards and six touchdowns, which puts him just 77 yards shy of a 4,000 yard season. He’s also the Mid-American Conference’s passing leader. Junior wide receiver Willie Snead was also hot Friday, hauling in 11 catches for 133 yards and a touchdown.

The RedHawks remain undaunted, however. In the face of adversity, senior captains Wes Williams and Steve Marck look at the positive strides that their teammates made throughout the season.

“No one ever quit fighting,” Williams said. “There’s still a lot of fight left in this team. I feel like if they bring in the right coach, the right guys, we can get things rolling. Maybe not right away, but they’ll get Miami back to how it was in the past.”

Both Williams and Marck are appreciative of the present coaching staff and players’ efforts, despite the winless season. Both captains hoped to make a go at playing football at the professional level, though Williams’ plans changed following a torn ACL after Miami’s last home game against the University at Buffalo. Both agreed that regardless of where their futures take them, the university gave them the best possible chance to succeed at whatever they try their hands at, be it football or otherwise.

“For a lot of the guys, football is over, and now that’s the part where being a student athlete, coming here for free and getting a degree, starts to pay dividends,” Marck said. “You work your butt off for four or five years while you’re here and you leave with a degree from a great university that can set you up in so many different places in life.”

Many of the coaches, too, will most likely be looking for a new purpose at the start of the next season. No official word has been given on the status of the Miami athletic department’s coaching search, but after an 0-12 season it’s likely that coaching changes will be made by athletic director David Sayler.

“Those coaches? It’s tough, they’re all looking for jobs now,” Marck said. “I’m not sure if the new coach will keep anybody around, but I hope a few of those guys get the chance to stay around. We’re appreciative of everything they did. As interim head coach, Mike Bath did everything. I respect him for that, and I know he has a bright future along with some of these other coaches.”