Miami ends 9-match skid against Eagles

Published: Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 00:10

The Miami University volleyball team has experienced many setbacks this season, including its ninth straight loss Thursday against Central Michigan University (CMU). However, the ’Hawks bounced back Saturday, sweeping Eastern Michigan University (EMU) 3-0 to pick up their first Mid-American Conference (MAC) and road win of the year.

Miami (6-15, 1-7 MAC) is now tied for fifth place in the MAC East with the University at Buffalo.

The RedHawks dropped a 3-1 (22-25, 25-16, 13-25, 22-25) decision Thursday to MAC West- leading CMU. After a hotly contested first set loss, the RedHawks put together a 10-1 run in the second to clinch their only set win of the night. From that point on, Central Michigan powered its way to its sixth consecutive win.

Sophomore outside hitter Meg Riley had another impressive outing with 16 kills, 10 assists and eight digs, but as a team Miami continued to struggle on offense, only mustering a .188 hitting percentage.

The Chippewas (12-6, 6-1 MAC) dispatched Miami thanks to the help of three main contributors: Lindsey Dulude, Kaitlyn McIntyre and Kelley Maxwell. Dulude and McIntyre combined for 33 of Central Michigan’s 58 kills, while Maxwell did her part to set up the Chips’ offense with 40 assists.

The Red and White then made its way to EMU (13-11, 3-5 MAC) and swept the Eagles 3-0 (25-20, 28-26, 33-31). A hotly contested match with 30 ties and 13 lead changes, the two teams practically matched each other point for point, with Miami making the plays it needed to make to pick up the victory.

Riley and junior libero Madison Hardy continued to be major parts of the ’Hawks’ attack with a triple-double of 22 kills, 20 assists and 10 digs, and 29 digs, respectively. A pair of seniors also contributed to the Red and White victory as senior outside hitter Lisa Treadway racked up a double-double of 10 kills and 17 digs, while senior outside hitter Amy Kendall’s 30 assists provided opportunities for the offense, which had a .284 hitting percentage.

“Menche came through for us,” Head Coach Carolyn Condit said. “Hardy did a real nice job passing and anticipated really well.”

Eastern Michigan’s junior outside hitter Erin Short and senior outside hitter Rachel Iaquaniello each had double-doubles, but the Eagle’s offense struggled to score against the RedHawks, only mustering a .149 hitting percentage.

“We played solid against Central, and we put together an amazing hitting match against EMU,” Condit said. “We stayed with them and positively played every point instead of worrying about mistakes.”

Kendall discussed how important it was to pick up the victory.

“We fought as a team and we know that if we work hard together this week and in the weeks to come it will be a great season for us,” she said.

Condit also talked about what the win does for the RedHawks.

“We learned how to play with more confidence,” she said. “We now know what it takes to work hard and work hard together.”

Miami returns to Oxford this weekend to face the University of Toledo 6 p.m. Friday and Ball State University 5 p.m. Saturday.