Men's Swim Team Travels to Purdue

Published: Friday, November 22, 2013

Updated: Friday, November 22, 2013 01:11

After a strong showing against Ohio State University in a home exhibition two weekends ago, the Miami University men's swimming and diving team hopes to make a splash this weekend as it hits the road to take on another Big Ten Conference team in Purdue University.

The RedHawks (2-0) lost to the Boilermakers (3-1, 2-1 Big Ten) 103-192 last year in Oxford.

“This week is a strong stress week,” head coach Pete Lindsay said. “We're working on getting up to a race pace before the guys go home for Thanksgiving, where they won't do much swimming. After that, we'll be focused on getting ready for the [Miami] Invitational... Purdue is coming off a big weekend in Minnesota... They'll be good competition and give us some good racing.”

Miami looks to get back to individual competition after its meeting with Ohio State consisted of relay events. Sophomore Evan Bader, who earned Mid-American Conference (MAC) Swimmer of the Week honors earlier this year, is one of the RedHawks top swimmers.

Junior Joe Baumgartner said the RedHawks were working hard in practice.

“The sprinters group has been working on its race pace,” Baumgartner said. “We're doing a lot of block work and a lot of sprints... Traveling will be fun. Purdue has a nice pool and they are a good team. We look forward to some of the guys stepping up.”

Junior Andrew Kilkenny echoed a similar sentiment about the week of practice.

“For the mid-distance guys, we're doing a lot of pace work,” Kilkenny said. “This weekend, we're looking to get into some close races [against Purdue].”

Purdue performed well in the Minnesota Grand Prix, following a 131-169 loss to Ohio State after starting off the season 3-0 and as a result are no longer nationally ranked after being #22 prior to the meet. In that quad meet that featured seven teams, freshman Filip Bujoczek had a strong outing with a win in the 200 freestyle, placed second in the 500 freestyle, and contributed to a runner-up finish in the 400 freestyle relay while senior Danny Tucker took first in the 50 freestyle, claimed second place in the 100 freestyle, and contributed to a third place finish in the 200 medley relay and a second place finish in the 400 freestyle relay.

The dual meet against the Boilermakers will begin at 6 p.m. Friday.