’Hawks host Miami Invitational

Published: Thursday, November 29, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 29, 2012 22:11

The Miami University men’s and women’s swimming teams are gearing up for a huge weekend, as they host the Miami Invitational. This weekend marks the 19th anniversary of the event.

The meet will definitely be one of the more challenging meets Miami will have all season.

“This is always a really big event that we run every year and looks to be really competitive again this year,” Miami women’s team Head Coach David Jennings said.

The invitational this year will have eight different women’s programs and seven different men’s programs.

Several of the teams offer steep competition for Miami. Western Kentucky University and the University of Cincinnati will be participating in the meet.

Emory University, which has won three Division III championships will also be in attendance.

The women’s team has had a great deal of success so far this season. After an early loss to Purdue University, the Red Hawks have rolled out four straight victories to improve their record to 4-1 on the season coming into the invitational.

The RedHawks have had a lot of great individual accomplishments from senior swimmers Leah Thornton, Bekka Westrick, Stacie Clagg and Laura Kruger.

Even though the team hasn’t faced the steep competition that it will for the invitational, Coach Jennings is still happy with the way these meets have prepared his team for the event.

In these past meets, we had an opportunity to swim a lot of our athletes in a lot of different events,” Jennings said. “To win a MAC title, we need to have a lot of different girls contribute to score in main events.”

The men’s team has also had success this year. Facing tough competition all year from opponents like Ohio State University and Purdue, it has held its own posting with a 2-2-1 record heading into the invitational so far.

“I feel good about our chances,” men’s head coach Pete Lindsay said. “We had a couple of tough losses that I think will help our team in the long run.”

The men also have had a couple of standout senior swimmers early in the season, notably Alex Rinehart, Anderson Whip and Ian Joyce.

The event is scheduled differently throughout the days. The event runs from Thursday to Saturday, with the majority of the events coming on Friday and Saturday. Thursday has only four races scheduled, with Friday and Saturday having 18 races.

The coaches and swimmers are excited about the invitational.

Coach Jennings said he expects there to be a decent crowd in attendance for the Invitational.

“We expect have 600 to 800 people in the stands on Friday and Saturday,” Jennings said.