'Hawks burned by Flames in Chicago

Published: Sunday, November 24, 2013

Updated: Sunday, November 24, 2013 17:11

The Miami University women’s basketball team fell to 1-3 Saturday as it lost to the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) 76-66.

The RedHawks were led by senior guard Hannah Robertson, who scored 17 points and added five rebounds and three assists.

“I think we had a lot of energy and we were able to carry that into the offensive and defensive ends,” Robertson said. “We got down in the beginning and were able to fight back and bring the battle a little closer.”

The ’Hawks were outscored in the first half of the game 46-29, and were unable to recover despite outscoring the Flames (3-2) in the second half.

“Certainly [the halftime lead] was a big factor, because [UIC] shot the ball so well in the first half,” Miami head coach Cleve Wright said. “Our kids stayed strong and stuck together and kept fighting. I really felt like we gave ourselves a chance in the second half.”

Senior guard Rachel Story led the Flames with 23 points in the win. Redshirt senior center Katie Hannemann scored 18 points for the Flames and redshirt sophomore forward Ruvanna Campbell contributed 11 points and 10 rebounds.

Also contributing for the RedHawks was sophomore forward Hannah McCue, who tied a career-high with 10 points and snagged five rebounds. Senior guard Haley Robertson, senior forward Erica Almady and freshman forward Nicole Anderson each scored nine points for the Red and White.

The RedHawks threw up a season-high 61 shots Saturday, as they had their highest point total of the year.

“We want to be able to take more shots,” Wright said. “I think we took care of the ball better than we had in the last couple games, and that allowed us to take more shots.”

The RedHawks committed 24 fouls on Saturday, compared to UIC’s 18. The Flames attempted 30 free throws, while the ’Hawks attempted 14.

“On offense we’re getting some good looks at the basket, we just need to get to the free throw line a few more times,” Wright said. “[UIC] was on the line twice as much as we were.”

The RedHawks kept the rebound battle close, but were edged by the Flames 36-35.

“We’re good a rebounding team and we need to continue that,” Wright said. “There weren’t a whole lot of defensive rebounds to get with [UIC] shooting so well in the first half.”

The RedHawks will look to capitalize on the close battle they had Saturday.

“We need to build on what we started [against UIC],” Wright said. “We need to continue to be aggressive and assertive on the offensive end and continue to work on rotations, pressuring the ball, and talking on the defensive end.”

The ’Hawks return to action 7 p.m. Tuesday in Millett Hall as they take on Duquesne University (4-2).

“I think it’s important to look at the things we’ve done [against UIC] and build off of that,” Robertson said. “Hopefully on Tuesday we can take another step forward."