’Cats blow out RedHawks in Battle for the Victory Bell

Published: Monday, October 8, 2012

Updated: Monday, October 8, 2012 23:10

The Miami University football team fell to 3-3 after being blown out 52-14 by the University of Cincinnati (UC) (4-0 overall, 1-0 Big East) Saturday. The RedHawks committed a season high four turnovers and gave up 272 rushing yards, dropping their seventh straight game against the rival Bearcats.

“It always concerns you,” Head Coach Don Treadwell said of the rushing yards given up. “But that’s the beauty of still having games to play and being able to go back to the film and evaluate why did it happen. That’s more important than that it just happened.”

The Bearcats’ 52 points ties the most scored by either team in the 117 times the two schools have met.

“The word we often use is momentum,” Treadwell said. “I think Cincinnati did a great job of seizing the momentum at opportunistic times and that makes a difference in the game when we were trying to close the gap a little bit early. But UC would make a play and that is what good teams do.”

The RedHawks (2-0 Mid-American Conference (MAC)) continued to struggle against the run, as the Bearcats ran the ball 50 times for 272 yards and four scores. Senior tailback George Winn did most of the damage, picking up 128 yards and two touchdowns on only 16 carries.

“Their offensive line is really good and their quarterback is really shifty,” junior linebacker Chris Wade said. “I thought we fought well on defense. I think we’ll learn from this and move on to next week.”

The Red and White struck first on a touchdown pass from redshirt senior quarterback Zac Dysert, but committed three straight turnovers: two Dysert picks, one of which went for a touchdown, and a fumble from freshman running back Jamire Westbrook. The Bearcats scored 21 points off four Miami turnovers.

Dysert passed the 10,000 career passing yard mark and moved up to 66th all-time in passing yards. Dysert was 25-49 for 303 yards and two touchdowns, but also threw three interceptions.

“We had a lot of turnovers and the better team won today,” Dysert said. “We didn’t play very well.”

Dysert is only 583 yards behind Ben Roethlisberger in passing yards, which would make him Miami’s all-time leader.

Junior wide receiver Nick Harwell made his first appearance since suffering a leg injury and wasted no time making his presence known, catching a pass the first play of the game. Harwell finished the game with five catches for 40 yards and a score.

“For Nick, he was just trying to get back in the flow,” Treadwell said. “We tried to minimize some of the things he was doing. He was in the flow pretty good. He’s a competitor.”

After falling behind early, the RedHawks abandoned the running game, throwing the ball 53 times while on attempting 19 rushes. The RedHawks ran only two designed running plays in the second half and did not run the ball once in the third quarter.

Sophomore wide receiver Dawan Scott led the team in rushing yards, return yards and was second in receiving yards. Scott finished the game with seven touches for 104 yards and a touchdown.

Chris Wade continued to be a bright spot for the RedHawks’ defense, finishing the game with 12 tackles, a game high.

“Chris Wade is given the opportunity to make plays because of what they have the defensive front doing and things of that nature,” Treadwell said. “He is answering the bell for that and that’s a good thing.”

With the brutal non-conference schedule out of the way, the team is looking forward to getting back to MAC play, where they have high expectations.

“It sucks that we couldn’t pull it out today, but all of our goals are still attainable,” Dysert said. “All of our goals are still ahead of us. We control our own destiny.”

The Red and White return to MAC play and travel to Bowling Green State University to take on the Falcons 3:30 p.m. Saturday.