Opinion | The Miami Student endorses the McGuire, Kwarteng ticket

Published: Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:03

The General Election for the Student Body Elections will be this Wednesday on the Hub. The election will start at noon and go until 7 p.m. Thursday and then the runoff is from noon to 7 p.m., April 3 to April 4 .

Major issues overlapping platforms included Medical Amnesty, improving advising and DARS, providing better communication between ASG and students and safety on campus.

The Editorial Board of the Miami Student was able to meet with the candidates, hear their platforms and ideas and ask the candidates questions about their major goals if elected.

The following endorsement reflects the majority opinion of The Miami Student Editorial Board.

The board has decided to endorse Forrest McGuire and Lot Kwarteng as president and vice president of the student body after they demonstrated their leadership experience, passionate dedication and focus on critical issues would lead the way towards positive steps in the present and future of every student’s Miami experience.

Though we all unanimously agreed that every candidate raised critical points about many key issues, we saw a little something different within the McGuire/Kwarteng ticket. They have the experience needed in order to hit the ground running and immediately begin enacting change.

Their focus on issues surrounding what the Miami student needs to be successful within their four years here was more than impressive.

It gave us hope that the future of the students here will be held in good hands.

McGuire and Kwarteng’s roles as leaders in Associated Student Government (ASG), and multiple other organizations, also proves that they not only have the connections to get issues such as Medical Amnesty enacted within the next year, but also have the passion and know-how to understand what students need to progress academically.

This team’s commitment to updating the age old DARS system and improving the academic advising system was something the board saw as a crucial issue.

All the candidates hit many key points about academics very well in different ways, but the board felt that McGuire and Kwarteng’s push to better retention and graduation rates would take a further step in bettering the academic experience for students after they graduate.

McGuire and Kwarteng, if elected, would immediately go after their goal of making Medical Amnesty go into effect by next year. We, the editorial board, believe that this would improve students’ safety and well being as a whole, while also protecting those that may be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Knowing the ins and outs of ASG is another reason why we believe these candidates have the knowledge to actually take their ideas and create change. They also demonstrated the need to provide College of Art and Science (CAS) students more opportunities for internships and jobs, and to push for the administration to pay more attention to majors that are often overlooked.

The board was ultimately impressed by the fact that there would be no such learning curve for these candidates, and the issues they stood for in their platform were not just surface problems for Miami students. The issues they want to tackle hit home for many of us as students, no matter how different we are.

We were impressed with all the candidates’ professionalism, knowledge and passion to pursue their issues by being elected as student body president and vice president. McGuire and Kwarteng just touched on something more for us as an editorial board. We wish all the candidates luck in the race and we encourage students to take part and vote this Wednesday on the Hub on MyMiami.

In our March 30 issue, in an editorial titled “Students should pay attention to unpaid internship illegalities,” The Miami Studen reported that there are regulations on unpaid internships set by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE), however, the regulations believed to be set by the NACE are actually set by the United States Federal Government. These laws on unpaid internships are outlined in the Fair and Labor Standards Act (FLSA).