Opinion | Student media organizations benefit students and university

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 8, 2012 22:11

For the last two football seasons, WMSR, Miami’s student radio broadcast organization, has broadcast football games from an awning next to its former location in the press box. The booth WMSR used to occupy now houses Head Football Coach Don Treadwell’s family members at each home game.

WMSR received notice of the change a few weeks before the first home game, and still retains a space for its broadcast, albeit outside.

The Miami Student editorial board feels that this is a complicated issue with no ideal solution. WMSR maintains a legitimate complaint about possible equipment damage and difficulty broadcasting from outside under an awning. However, we understand the university’s reasoning to move the group, as many universities reserve space for the head coach’s family.

We believe that this situation reflects an issue that seems to be the underlying cause of many controversies between the university and students: communication. When issues arise regarding interaction between administration and the students, many times we have traced these issues to breakdowns in discourse between the two groups, or inconsistent messages.

The editorial board believes that we, along with WMSR, are fortunate to have abundant equipment that many other groups do not receive. Miami’s media organizations should be grateful for the many resources at our fingertips, but we also believe the university should take advantage of these resources as well.

With the WMSR press box question, the editorial board feels that Miami could benefit from increasing its support of the radio station. With the aid of the university, WMSR could help increase student involvement and excitement about athletic events by garnering listeners, alleviating a great concern of administration and coaches alike. WMSR also reaches students and alumni, some of whom rely on the station for sports updates.

We don’t believe the university is obligated to assist WMSR or change its location at the games, but we think that both Miami and the student radio broadcast group could benefit from changes.