Opinion | Miami University needs cleaner energy source

winnerim@muohio.edu

Published: Monday, February 7, 2011

Updated: Monday, February 7, 2011 22:02

Student power is pushing coal off Midwest campuses. Friday, Feb. 4, Purdue University announced it would be canceling plans for a proposed coal burning power plant on campus. The proposed plant was defeated by a prolonged student campaign urging for an end to dirty coal and a renewable energy future for Purdue. This marks the 150th plant to be defeated since the beginning of the national Beyond Coal campaign in 2001.

Purdue has made a choice to switch from dirty coal to a cleaner form of energy. It's joining 12 other universities that have made a similar commitment, and Miami University should be next. Right now Miami's administrators are determining how our school will be powered in the long term, and students have already contributed important dialogue in letting them know how

they feel.

Feb. 3, more than 300 students came out to support a coal-free Miami at the Beyond Coal kickoff meeting. Miami's campaign is the largest and fastest growing in the country, and students are continuing correspondence with university administrators to reach their goals. Overwhelmingly, students at Miami and across the Midwest are calling for coal-free campuses, and we ask that President Hodge and the administration put us on track to meet these demands so that the Miami of 2019 won't be powered by the energy of 1809.