Opinion | End of semester reflection brings attention to good, bad

Published: Thursday, December 6, 2012

Updated: Thursday, December 6, 2012 23:12

As the fall semester comes to a close, the editorial board of The Miami Student decided to take this chance to look back at what has been a tumultuous and noteworthy time for Miami University.

One notable event on campus has been the ongoing construction. We may always complain about the cranes blocking our vision and or needing to find new routes due to closed sidewalks, and while inconveniences are never fun, it’s a sign of the campus growing and improving. The administration hit the nail on the head when they poked fun at the situation by saying it was ironic that the path to the future was blocking our path to class.

This semester has seen Miami garnering national attention for both excellent and unpleasant things.

With a Miami alumnus running for vice president in one of the most important elections our nation has witnessed, we were able to open up many conversations and look at different views of different people. Miami was once again ranked highly for study abroad experiences, undergraduate teaching and alumni success. The women’s soccer team had a stellar season and made it to the second round of the NCAA tournament. Miami choral groups performed at Carnegie Hall, one of the most famous concert halls in the world. The C-Span bus made a stop at Miami as well as former New York Times executive editor Bill Keller who wrote about Miami in The Times. Events like God in the Box and Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week allowed us to open our minds up to new ideas and learn about ourselves.

But we cannot fail to acknowledge that we have had a rocky semester as well. The year began with news of a fireworks incident in the Greek community that resulted in the suspension of two fraternities. A few weeks later, Farmer School of Business Dean Jenkins announced he would retire at the end of the semester. Athletic Director Brad Bates also decided to leave Miami. Then an anonymous flier was posted in a dormitory bathroom, suggesting ways to get away with rape. Then just a few days ago the Miami community learned one of our students passed away.

It has been a semester where we truly learned about community and how we can grow, both as individuals and as a group. The Miami Student editorial board wishes you luck on exams and a safe break.