Editorial | New year, new resolutions: 2014 goals from the editoral board

Published: Monday, January 27, 2014

Updated: Monday, January 27, 2014 22:01

It’s been almost a month since New Year’s eve, and even though all of us would really, really liketo believe the resolutions we made are still intact, they were probably dumped on the side of a disappointed treadmill or thrown away during the most recent late-night shenanigans along with a McDonald’s cheeseburger and milkshake (we aren’t judging you, don’t worry).

At least there are not a lot of over-achievers when it comes to the R word — according to research by the University of Scranton, only 8 percent of people achieve their New Year’s goals. So the percentage of those who complete their resolutions isn’t exactly high — but c’mon, we are college students at Miami. Most of us have the most insane class and work schedules ever, somehow manage to go to the REC center or go for a run in between classes, have an amazing time on the weekends and still get good grades, so what’s another goal written in the planner?

The Miami Student Editorial Board has made resolutions this year as well, and we hope to become part of the coveted 8 percent by the end of the year (we are crossing all of our fingers, and maybe even toes).

For starters, our Sports Editor Tom Downey just wants something very simple that 61 percent of Americans already have — a smart phone.

“I have a Verizon LG Octane 2,” he said sadly as he put the ancient brick on a table. Better start saving those incredibly high Miami Student paychecks Downey — an iPhone 5s bought out of contract starts at $649.

Our Campus Editor Victoria Slater wants to become more worldly this year, especially when she goes to Kosovo this summer with Miami University.

“I want to challenge myself when I am there, and push the boundaries of what I would normally do,” she said. About 38 percent of Miami students study abroad by the time they graduate, so this is a goal all students should contemplate.

“To not check out mentally until the day I graduate from Miami,” News Editor Emily Crane said when asked about her resolution. For those entering their last semester, this resolution probably sounds familiar, especially since Oxford seems like one of the most magical places in the world. Emily has some great advice though to achieving this sad, but needed resolution. “Make the most out of your last semester and don’t forget to live in the present,” she said.

Speaking of the grotesque word, “graduation,” Editorial Editor Nicole Theodore just wants to make it out of Miami within 10 years and not become the next female Van Wilder.

“Everyone says to me, ‘You are so lucky you are doing a fifth year,’ and I instantly think about the fact I have been perpetually doing school non-stop for four years without a break, and that I may never make it,” she said.

Community Editors Chris Curme and Jane Blazer are the truly inspiring ones of the bunch.

“My resolution is to embrace my flaws and resolve to stop changing,” Curme said quite simply.

Blazer wants to do more to help around the community, and she already started!

“A few days ago I got food for a homeless man,” she said.

Hopefully, we can all take a cue from these two.

Editorial Editor Emily Eldrige is also a senior with a common resolution.

“I want to find a job and start a career so I don’t have to move back home,” she said. Living at home has its perks, including free food and laundry service, but it’s not any senior’s dream to live with their parents for the next couple years. Good luck seniors, may the job search be ever in your favor.

Becoming a vegetarian — that was Campus Editor Reis Thebault’s resolution. It lasted all of a few days.

“I just wanted to see if I could do it,” he said innocently.

For more resolutions, including that of our Editor in Chief Katie Taylor, check out today’s campus section.

Good luck to all who made lofty resolutions for 2014. It starts by believing in yourself — and let’s face it, if you can pass chemistry 141 and take on 3 majors, you can do it.