No one wins with a tie in a championship

Linski's List

By Justin Maskulinski

Last Saturday, the Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) boy's ice hockey championship game ended in a tie.

Yes, you read that correctly.

A championship game ended with "co-champions" after the game finished its seventh overtime.

Coaches from both St. Ignatius High School (Cleveland) and Northview High School (Sylvania) agreed player safety was an issue.

Of course, players have every right to be tired after a game that lasted nearly five hours. The game began at 2 p.m. and didn't end until 6:40 p.m, according to OHSAA.org.

Why can't the two teams meet up at a later date and decide a champion then?

I wonder what would have happened if a semifinal game would have been called short; you have to send someone to the championship game.

Moving away from hypotheticals, the players must be livid.

When a team works together, sweats together and bleeds together to earn the right to play in a championship game, you either come out on top, or you lose: there is no tying in championships.

Although there must be some amount of pride in tying a state championship, who wants to walk around saying that they are co-champions?

People have been murmuring online that the USA is becoming soft; that we are living in a society where everyone gets a trophy and your best effort is just fine. While I believe there is some truth to that, my biggest question is:

Why can't they just reschedule the game?

Unless there were injuries, it will be the same two teams and then a champion can be decided.

In a postgame press conference St. Ignatius coach Pat O'Rourke said that a group of adults made the decision to call the game after toying with the idea of playing two more overtimes.

I'm sure no player from either Wildcat team (both teams are nicknamed the Wildcats) is happy they were named co-champions in an epic battle that was cut short.

The craziest statistic about this state championship game is that it is the longest game on record.

One game was longer, in 2007, as it was decided after eight overtimes.

After so many overtimes, one team will inevitably make a fatigue-induced mistake and allow the other team to take the crown.

Sorry if this sounds too philosophical, but in life, there are winners and losers.

For example: when you apply for a job, you either get it or you don't.

It's rare that both candidates would be thought of so highly that two positions would be created. It doesn't work that way.

You either win or you lose. That is how life works most of the time. I thought it was how sports worked too, until Saturday.

If you win, it's great. If you lose, it's not so great, but you take lessons from your loss and move forward, trying to better yourself.

When everyone gets a trophy, nobody truly wins.

Everyone that does not attend the respective schools will get over this game rather quickly, but the hard working teams that will forever be known as co-champions will never forget.