Letter to the Editor | Leftism vs. Americanism is real issue with students

By Howard Sachs, Washington DC

The following is a response to the commentary titled "Liberals as lesser men: Debunking the myths behind the stereotype of men from the left."

Thank you for sharing your ideas with those of us on and off-campus. I am interested in what young people think. May I respond with respect: America is in a culture war. Thankfully it is non-violent. It's a war between the values of leftism and American values. Of course you may be a patriotic leftist college student or professor, but not necessarily hold American values. Most young people are highly attracted to leftism. Most abandon it when they grow, get married and get out into the world and then understand how wise were the values of our American founders.Your concerns are classic leftist. You say, "The conservatives attack President Obama's domestic agenda." Of course we do. He and the Democratic Party he leads hold intense leftist values. Such values attack every part of the core of American values. Our country was formed to be a sea of liberty with islands of government control. America is about the freedom of the individual to run his life as he sees best. Leftism is about government running our lives and spreading its vision of justice among the citizenry. Mr. Obama is essentially saying: "After a certain point, you've made enough money and I, enlightened politician, will come and take what you don't deserve and give it to others who deserve it more. I, a kind and compassionate politician with my 15,000 pages of laws and regulations will now tell Keary and Jason when, why, how and with whom they will have healthcare on their brains and kidneys, livers, reproductive organs. I am the enlightened State." Karl Marx couldn't have said it any better. Such values steer us fast to Europe with their weak and demanding entitled citizens and their utterly failing economies.You young people, and I say this not to be mean, seem unfortunately very naive and uninformed about Americanism and its understanding of the proper role of government to the citizen. By college, you should understand our values rather than mock them. Our college kids are yawning while staring them in the face is the massive-sized government soon to reach into your wallets and demand for your whole life repayment on massive debts of this welfare state we've created. You shrug at the notion that the government has become a Leviathan and will control huge swaths of your lives at home and work. You cheer when this leftist government makes and celebrates millions now dependents on social welfare. You text and tweet while viscous religious fanatic tyrants in Iran are about to get ahold of a nuclear bomb.

Remember also Keary and Jason, the government has no money, so you're cheering on 50 million people who are on food stamps. Keep clearly in mind the American and moral implications of that. 50 million people are ordering their neighbors to go out each day and work and then hand them part of their earnings. For a tiny few, this is just, but for 50 million? Please, this is weak, character-destroying raw leftism. This is also a massive inequality of power between the citizen and state. This is not Americanism.

And yes, Keary and Jason, toughness, power and strength are vital in foreign affairs. A key value of leftism is a naive childlike view of the world. The argument is all men are basically good. Our leftist citizens will argue, "If you talk and extend a hand, people will come around." Americanism is the value system of adults and realists. Those with American values understand people are not born good and evil will always be with us, and talking and open hands often get one killed by very evil guys. Americanism understands the best way to fight evil and avoid war is to be powerful and resolute. The powerful American Army freed the concentration camps of Europe, not leftist peace activists.

In foreign affairs, leftism, headed by our president has unleashed the forces of darkness into the world from Libya, to Egypt, Iran, China, Russia, Syria and Venezuela. Yes, President Obama exudes weakness because he holds leftist values. Tough, murderous tyrants like Vladimir Putin and the Mullahs in Tehran, and the dictators of China know it, see it, feel it and laugh at it. Our allies, from Britain to Canada to Taiwan, Japan and Israel are appalled. You may feel all warm and comfy in your dorms, but darkness not fought by strong men and women holding American values will eventually come even to our cozy dormitories, just as it did to our cozy office buildings on 9-11.Check out some American values. Whether you continue to cheer on leftism is your business, but at least make your BA degrees meaningful and become more educated. I'm happy to read anything you'd like me to read to support your notions that leftism is and has been good for the world.