Fraternities lose recognition after Aug. fireworks incident
Sanctions were issued to Miami University's Phi Kappa Tau and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternities Monday regarding events surrounding a fireworks incident in August.
Phi Kappa Tau is suspended with its recognition revoked through August 2013, according to Associate Director of University Communications Claire Wagner. Sigma Alpha Epsilon is suspended with its recognition revoked for an extra year, through August 2014, Wagner said.
The chapters were found responsible for violating various sections of Miami's Code of Student Conduct, including drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of fireworks and disorderly conduct.
A summary suspension was issued to the two chapters in the interim, and the sanctions come following a complete investigation Wagner said.
"Once we go through the whole judicial process, part of the process after the investigation involves time for appeal," Wagner said. "We always wait until after that period is up [to uphold sanctions] and that's what happened."
Wagner did not confirm whether the fraternities appealed the punishments.
In addition to the chapters' suspensions, additional sanctions also apply to both fraternities.
For the first two years after reinstatement, at least half of fraternity members living in the chapter house must have at least junior class standing.
The chapters must also provide a live-in adviser for at least two years following their return, as well as receiving fire safety education before moving back into the fraternity house.
Additionally, both chapters must present a plan for compliance with the Community Advancement program before officially returning to campus.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?