Fraternities lose recognition after Aug. fireworks incident

By Jenn Smola
On December 3, 2012

Sanctions were issued to Miami University's Phi Kappa Tau and Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternities Monday regarding events surrounding a fireworks incident in August.

Phi Kappa Tau is suspended with its recognition revoked through August 2013, according to Associate Director of University Communications Claire Wagner. Sigma Alpha Epsilon is suspended with its recognition revoked for an extra year, through August 2014, Wagner said.

The chapters were found responsible for violating various sections of Miami's Code of Student Conduct, including drug possession, possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of fireworks and disorderly conduct.

A summary suspension was issued to the two chapters in the interim, and the sanctions come following a complete investigation Wagner said.

"Once we go through the whole judicial process, part of the process after the investigation involves time for appeal," Wagner said. "We always wait until after that period is up [to uphold sanctions] and that's what happened."

Wagner did not confirm whether the fraternities appealed the punishments.

In addition to the chapters' suspensions, additional sanctions also apply to both fraternities.

For the first two years after reinstatement, at least half of fraternity members living in the chapter house must have at least junior class standing.

The chapters must also provide a live-in adviser for at least two years following their return, as well as receiving fire safety education before moving back into the fraternity house.

Additionally, both chapters must present a plan for compliance with the Community Advancement program before officially returning to campus.