'Pubs of Oxford' adds local spirit to pubster collection

By Sarah Ross
On December 3, 2012

Michigan State University graduate and artist Brian McKelvery started a collection called Pubs of Your Town.

They are 18'' by 24'' posters that he calls "pubsters." McKelvery traveled to Miami University earlier in the semester to make his pubster for Oxford.

McKelvery travels to various cities-some of which are college campuses-to capture the popular hangout spots, restuarants, bars and stores.

"I walked campus quite a bit and got a feel for it," McKelvery said. "This kind of lead to the way that I did the picture."

McKelvery started the 'Pubs of' posters at Michigan State. After the success of his first poster he decided to make posters of other locations and college towns.

"I thought that I should just do all of the bars," McKelvery said. "I should just throw them all together. I did the Michigan State one and it took off."

McKelvery came to Miami University after many requests for the creation of a Pubs of Oxford poster.

"I had a lot of requests from people in Chicago," McKelvery said. "They were angry that I did not have Miami. I said yes and I promised them and I am really glad I came because your town is awesome."

Miami University senior Anne Strychalski is working with McKelvery with PR Visions, a student-run public relations firm at Miami University. Strychalski said she thinks the Pubs of Oxford posters will be a hit.

"We think that the posters will be popular at this time of year for either graduation presents of Christmas presents," Strychalski said. "They are a really unique way of representing Uptown in a creative manner."

45 East Bar & Grill's service and bar manager Heather Martin said she is thrilled to be selling McKelvery's Pubs of Oxford poster.

45 East Bar & Grill currently has the posters in stock.

"As an artist myself; I love them," Martin said. "We were shown samples and I was looking forward to the finished product."

Sophomore Shae Burgess saw the Pubs of Oxford poster online after hearing about it from a friend.

Burgess said she thinks the poster will appeal to residents of Oxford and Miami students alike.

"I think the poster is cute," Burgess said. "I think that if you did not know what Oxford was it would make you want to visit."

For more information on McKelvery's pubsters and to view his other work visit www.pubsof.com.

The posters are $25.00 each.