RedHawks' run comes to an end
The Miami University hockey team's season came to an end with a 4-3 loss to the University of Denver in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference Championship Game Saturday.
The RedHawks tried to rally from a two goal third period deficit, but fell short.
"Congratulations go to the University of Denver, they played great and deserved to win," head coach Enrico Blasi said. "We tried to push back, but just didn't have enough."
Denver's win guarantees it a spot in its seventh straight NCAA tournament, while Miami's season ends without a tournament berth for the first time in the past nine seasons.
The RedHawks (15-20-3) fell behind early to the Pioneers (20-15-6), as Denver scored twice in the opening period.
"We had no energy," Blasi said. "Our guys came out flat. I'll take the blame for that. That's unacceptable in a championship game."
Miami battled back in the second period, thanks to goals from freshman forward Anthony Louis and sophomore forward Sean Kuraly. Louis put a nifty backhander home to pull Miami within one goal 13:08 into the second period. Kuraly then knotted things up with a one-timer at the 16:08 mark.
However, Denver started off strong in the third period as it scored twice within the first seven minutes. A flurry of shots in the final few minutes led to late goal from Louis with just 1:33 left to put Miami down just one score. However, the comeback was not to be as Denver senior goalie Sam Brittain shut the door on the 'Hawks.
Louis was named to the All-Tournament team with three goals during the weekend.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?